I'll Never go to Florida Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
I have never tried to tell folks the way they do things is cumbersome unfair or backwards it is their place and they can do things how they want. If I did not like it I could leave (when my tour was over that is).

If you do not like the way things are done down here and are going to get snarky about it stay away. There are plenty of others who accept the place for what it is and are pleasant to be around. We will not miss you.
Well sir, I am not from another fricken country, I am an American citizen, born and raised. And as such, I "EXPECT", no, I DEMAND to be able to travel anywhere within this country without being HARASSED by a bunch of ahole local yocals. This isnt Europe where were all a bunch of separate countries, and we shouldnt have to "show our papers" to anyone just because we travel to another state. Stop treating everyone coming into Florida like were all a bunch of foreigners. We have just as much right to travel there, as you should have traveling in any other state.

Seriously, you guys should be defending our rights with a vengence, not trampling over them and condemning us as your police seem wont to do.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
You've turned some c*ap someone else read on the internet into Florida and the people here persecuting you.
Of the participants taking part in this Florida bashing only one has actually traveled beyond the state line.
But c'mon down, experienced it for yourself and THEN form your OWN opinion. You might even like the place. Bunches of cruisers do and come back every year.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Police

Wait are you saying that we tell Police how they should do their job,I guess our taxes do pay their salary and sure they will do what we tell them to do.
Wait I pay your salary don't give me a traffic ticket.
I think this subject has really gotten way out of whack here and really don't
think it is as bad as has been stated.
My boat is documented and I ddi not register with Florida DMV for at least 1 year after sailing down into Florida from NY and never had police harass me not once.
Nick

May 27, 2012
Of the participants taking part in this Florida bashing only one has actually traveled beyond the state line.
But c'mon down, experienced it for yourself and THEN form your OWN opinion. You might even like the place. Bunches of cruisers do and come back every year.
You should really READ all the posts in this thread, and try to comprehend them, before you write that kind of gibberish.

May 27, 2012
Wait I pay your salary don't give me a traffic ticket.
I think this post really pushes home the the point as to why more people should probably avoid it, at least for a while. Most simply cant comprehend the problem, and don't care to try.

I always thought of cruising it, but what for. With the attitudes down there and with so much else available without all the hassle, im done even considering it. Ive been thinking more and more about going out from NOLA and exploring from there. South TX sounds much more inviting, and once you get out in the gulf, you can go virtually anywhere. I could avoid FL like the plague if I want to. Or should I say, if "they" want me to. Keep telling everyone to stay away, and allow your police to harass everyone who comes, and "we" will.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
We bought our present boat in Florida, and brought it north as documented in our blog.
Originally we planned on wintering the boat in FL and spending a month cruising FL, however FL tax laws made that impractical. We closed in Sept 09 paying FL sales tax on the dinghy and outboard, sales tax on the boat was exempt as long as we left FL within 90 days and provided proof to the state of FL of documentation and out of state registration and within 30 days of departing FL submit invoices for fuel or dockage identifying the boat including in our case the CG documentation number. Additionally we could not return to Florida waters for 6 months. We also had to purchase a FL extension decal for $80 to allow the 90 days, another extension of 90 days would cost $425. Additionally our Insurance did not allow us to Navigate in FL waters until Nov 1st.
We then decided to start leaving FL in Nov and winter the boat in GA. FL lost our dollars.

I must add that all the people we met in FL (mostly boaters) were very nice, and we enjoyed our short time there and wished we could have seen more , but...
http://www.fauxcastle.blogspot.com/2010_11_01_archive.html

Aug 2, 2012
Catalina 34 Mk1B Burnt Store Marina -Punta Gorda, FL
Whatever happened to "In route"? Does any state recognize that anymore?
I live in Florida, but currently have a broke down vessel in Kentucky. They do not have a registration process for C.G. Documented vessels. So, they are trying to hit me up for “Tangible Property Tax at a cost of $8.35/ $1000 of valuation. (Twice the cost of Florida annual registration fee) A $30,000 valued boat would pay $250/yr.
It is interesting that Snowbirds do not have to register their cars, motor homes, trailers.. Hmm! What gives? Maybe it is because they can leave Florida “quickly” and a boat cannot do the same, so screw them. Sounds like discrimination.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
So any way florida is getting too crowded with all the people from up north and some stay and some leave and some love it and hate it but I moved from up north and love it here.
nick
My friend from Georgia once riddled me this: What's the difference between a "yankee" and a "damn yankee"? Answer: a "yankee" goes home in the summer. I was a "damn yankee", living in Florida at the time, and loving it!

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
The real issue is not one of being a Yankee or paying taxes, it is all about paying more than a fair share for little to no benefit, and having no right to be secure in one's home or possessions, even as the US Constitution stills says that is your right. It is not a limited right, a sometimes right, or a right on land only.

I understand the LEOs' ability to storm aboard a vessle unanounced. But that does not make it safe, pleaseant, or with my consent.

For what it is worth, I hope I am on the jury after a boater defends his home. I think Sam Adams spoke of nearly the same, 250 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.