If you can't do this you aren't a sailor. ;)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Russ... You have a pretty perverse sense of humor... I like it.:yikes:
I do not want to know the rest of the story... Because is appears you did not respect the chick in the morning.:ass:
Of course I did. I'm not that kinda guy. ;)
Besides, I want to snack on it a few more days. ;)
Russ

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Rereading this thread brought back a memory of when I was a teen, applying for a job on a Dungy crabber in Sausalito. Being younger than his normal crew, he just threw me a line and said tie a bowline. Spent the next three years working for him, on and off.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Rereading this thread brought back a memory of when I was a teen, applying for a job on a Dungy crabber in Sausalito. Being younger than his normal crew, he just threw me a line and said tie a bowline. Spent the next three years working for him, on and off.
Jaws.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Me either. I don't even know what a sheepshank is used for???
Temporarily shortening a line. I've actually used it occasionally on gaffers and schooners; vessels w/o winches.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Just let go of the jib sheets on a windy day and you'll see what I mean.
I’m pretty good at that one, too. Kind of a cross between a granny knot and a hangman’s noose. Guaranteed not to come loose on its own. Suckers are a bigger to untie - almost need 3 hands to do it.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
The tail can be on the outside, too, commonly referred to as a left handed bowline, but this isn’t ANY kind of bowline. Not sure what it is other than a rats nest.
Always heard it was called a “winter” bowline—makes it so the tail doesn’t freeze in the knot and become difficult to undo.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I had a guy show that technique to me a hour or so prior to my firefighter academy ropes and knots testing. Being 23 and a idiot, I tried it for my test. I had to retest.