If you can't do this you aren't a sailor. ;)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Back in the day while I was still working we would sit around the kitchen table and tie knots with your hands beneath the table. Some guys could do it one hand (mostly ex-military). I still can do them with a little practice. The best knot I've done was with no hands. Just let go of the jib sheets on a windy day and you'll see what I mean.

All U Get

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
That would be with a cherry stem and done with the tongue... so I hear.
Meh.

My ex-wife could do the cherry stem trick. Look how far that got me... Well, I guess it got her some mileage - from unsuspecting fools. Wait, did I just incriminate myself? Yeah, I guess so...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Man, I am going to have to get out my Bluejacket's Manual to interpret all this marlinspike speak !

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I guess I'm not a sailor then, because I can not tie that knot, whatever it is!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Didn't you see the other thread where he was soloing, coming out of the channel, setting sails in shifting wind, flying the drone to take a picture, being generally awesome, and probably simultaneously responding to 3 forum questions?
:worship:

For the win!

Last night my 1/2 lady crew and I won our race, beating a well sailed j/70 driven by an 2016 Rio Olympic team member. Strike a blow for the not-over-the-hill gang!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on the win Jackdaw but I'm confused. I've not seen a half lady who wanted to crew. For that matter I've never met a 1/2 lady. They have either been Lady's or not. I'm so confused.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I need practice too. Being able to tie a bowline with you inside the loop while in the water is a very handy skill. That whole rabbit goes in the hole method is useless in a crisis MOB situation. I find the two had method to be fast and much easier.
start with both hands palm up. running end coming from the boat goes over your left palm thumb to little finger then around your back at chest height to your right palm little finger to thumb. the line between our left and right hand determines how large the loop will be. grab the line with your left hand and turn it so your thumb goes vertical then points toward your right hand. The line should cross itself next to your left thumb with your fingers in a loop. With your left hand fingers reach through and grab the bitter end and pull it GENTLY through the loop just formed. you only have to gain control of the line with your fingers not pull it all the way through the loop. Take the bitter end and run it between your left hand 2nd and 3rd fingers from palm to fingertip under the line going across your palm. Pull the bitter end till you have a tail length you like (the knot will be where your left hand is). clamp down on the tail where it goes under the loop and your fingers and let go with your left hand and form the knot by pulling on the running end. your now secured to the boat