If not a bimini, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
The awning really is very simple to make especially if you use a sheet. They come hemmed at one end and only need to be hemmed at the other end. I would add a 3" strip to the center for the center pvc pipe, or even fold over the center an sew a pocket for the center pipe (you will loose a little length but nothing significant).
If you can't sew at all hire a seamstress. One should do it for about $10.
The poles have 3/16" holes at the ends where the 1/8" tie-downs are attached. I would drill a hole on only one side of the pole and feed the tie-down through it and tie a stopper knot that will be inside the tube for a cleaner look. The tie-downs are about 4' long and are tied to the stanchions.

I used to secure the center of the poles to the boom but found last week that is not necessary, even in 10-15 kt winds. I will draw plans for the verbally challenged.

Attachments

Jul 12, 2013
Oday 23 Annapolis
If you wat to get really simple go out and buy a ready made shade sail in the size you want and a couple of extendable tent poles. Some bungee chords or string and you're good to go. Don't go anywhere near boat suppliers as the price will automatically double.
Tent poles: now there's an idea... Many thanks.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=2732
Polytarps have always worked for me. I keep three of them on board, an 8x10, and two 5x7s. Tarps are cheap and they keep the boat nice and cool while at anchor.
I also rig up what I call " the poor sailor's Bimini Top" which I use while sailing. All you need is a small tarp and an adjustable boat hook.
When I buy my polytarps I usually need to add a couple of brass grommets to them in the right places, and I use short lengths of 3/16" braid nylon line for ties.
Polytarps are light in weight but they are noisy on a windy day. They are also flammable so it would behoove you to use quick release hitches when tying them off to lifelines and etc.
I'd love to have a Bimini Top on my boat but I also love to troll for Stripers and I don't want anything in my way when I get a fish on especially if I also need to handle the Mainsail and tiller while playing the fish.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I made an over boom awning using a 6x8 polytarp, and 2 pieces of grey UV exterior PVC conduit. I cut the PVC in 2 pieces, so they can be joined maybe 4 or 5" wider than the finished dimensions of the tarp. The junction of the conduit is now in the midline of the tarp, about where the boom is - I figured 4 pieces 3 feet long (roughly) stores easier than 2 pieces 6 feet long. I took some stainless steel S hooks, and squeezed one end together, and tied it to a grommet. The open end of the S hook goes into the end of the PVC pole. Then, I use either bungee cords from aft corners to railings in the stern, or lengths of utility cord with tautline hitches to go to stanchion bases forward.

One of the old timers on a recent raft-up saw me messing with it from the shade of her bimini. She said, "Oh, sweetheart, you've made yourself a pre-bimini. Don't be offended, we've all made one. After that, we buy a real bimini!" I laughed.

Brian

Jul 12, 2013
Oday 23 Annapolis
I made an over boom awning using a 6x8 polytarp, and 2 pieces of grey UV exterior PVC conduit. I cut the PVC in 2 pieces, so they can be joined maybe 4 or 5" wider than the finished dimensions of the tarp. The junction of the conduit is now in the midline of the tarp, about where the boom is - I figured 4 pieces 3 feet long (roughly) stores easier than 2 pieces 6 feet long. I took some stainless steel S hooks, and squeezed one end together, and tied it to a grommet. The open end of the S hook goes into the end of the PVC pole. Then, I use either bungee cords from aft corners to railings in the stern, or lengths of utility cord with tautline hitches to go to stanchion bases forward.

One of the old timers on a recent raft-up saw me messing with it from the shade of her bimini. She said, "Oh, sweetheart, you've made yourself a pre-bimini. Don't be offended, we've all made one. After that, we buy a real bimini!" I laughed.

Brian
That is funny.
The thing is, I'm a klutz, I'm poor and I'm overworked, so what I'm looking for is something cheap and simple: basically a tarp-plastic rectangle with three six-foot battens going sideways, one on each end and one in the middle, ending with eyes that you tie to the lifelines. This allows you to incline it on one side or the other depending on where the sun it. The fancy ones have an indent on one end so that you can shade the bit of cockpit that extends beyond the end of the boom and two more eyes to tie to the backstay. When not using it, you just roll it up and stick it in the V-berth.
I've found six-foot battens online and the right size tarp (8' x 10' probably) but sewing the holes is beyond my capabilities. And the thing I remember having 20 years ago is nowhere to be found.

billh

Jun 9, 2009
Hunter 28.5 Inland NY
I know this is an older post and the season is coming to a close, but, as a very inexpensive quick solution try the Sport Umbrella from Sams Club. Works while under sail or not under sail. I attach two bungees to the front rings and hand rails on the boat. For the back I have some of that Surgical tubing found at Home Depot. It sticks to itself very well, so a simply loop knot does the trick for the back while it sits on the rail. It pulls air in while under sail and keeps the cockpit cool, sort of fits under the boom, but if I don't move the boom too much it works out. And it is collapsable and portable. However, one word of advice. If a squall pops up go ahead and remove and stow below deck. There is one somewhere under my boat having neglected to do so while docked The cost was around $36, I also sprayed it with waterproofing. Going strong for two seasons now. :) http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sport-brella-blue/prod1640682.ip

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I made one out of a poly tarp and 1/2" PVC. Drill a hole in the side/end of the pipe and run a parachute cord through the hole, tie one end of the cord to a grommet in the tarp and the other to something on deck or a lifeline. Tie fore and aft center grommets to that pipe. Bungee to mast and back stay.
$20 and maybe 20 minutes and you're sipping a cool beverage in the shade.....
Saw on Duckworks where a guy had made collapsing spreaders (PVC pipe above) with couplings, end caps glued on and bungee run through holes drill in caps and knotted.
Like Lloyd, I always heard these called boom tents and only recently heard them called awnings.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I know this is an older post and the season is coming to a close, but, as a very inexpensive quick solution try the Sport Umbrella from Sams Club. Works while under sail or not under sail. I attach two bungees to the front rings and hand rails on the boat. For the back I have some of that Surgical tubing found at Home Depot. It sticks to itself very well, so a simply loop knot does the trick for the back while it sits on the rail. It pulls air in while under sail and keeps the cockpit cool, sort of fits under the boom, but if I don't move the boom too much it works out. And it is collapsable and portable. However, one word of advice. If a squall pops up go ahead and remove and stow below deck. There is one somewhere under my boat having neglected to do so while docked The cost was around $36, I also sprayed it with waterproofing. Going strong for two seasons now. :) http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sport-brella-blue/prod1640682.ip
And you can use it to sail your dinghy! Downwind anyway.....

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
A tent traps heat, my thing is basically flat and allows the air to circulate underneath.
Thanks, though.
I think you are looking at the terms differently from what most nautical people would.

Most refer to "a tarp going over the boom to provide shade" as a "boom tent" rather than a "boom awning". Even the commercial products that are "awnings" are called "tents" by the manufacturers.

The definition of a "tent" is broad enough to include "awning" although the term awning implies being attached to the side of a structure.

So the first response of a "boom tent" was correct.

Some boom tents do enclose the cockpit area to keep out the weather or provide privacy. But quite often a boom tent is simply a tarp laid over the boom to provide shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.