Ideas to refinish salon table top and underside

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
I'm working on freshening up the teak in my 1983 Catalina 25 and am planning to update the galley counter using the epoxy idea found in the below SailboatOwners thread linked below.

But I'm at a loss for what to do about the dated salon table top and bottom. Since the table folds in half and it can also be collapsed to put away against the wall, both sides would need to be updated. I'm worried the epoxy idea might be too thick to allow it to fold properly... and worried that paint wouldn't be durable enough to withstand folding it up and putting it away.

Does anyone have suggestions for this? Or... does it seem feasible to just fabricate a new tabletop out of some really nice wood? If so, what type of wood would you recommend?

Edit: I've attached a pic showing the table. There's a piano hinge on the right side so the table folds open to double the size. To stow the table "away", it *folds up against the bulkhead wall which means when stored, you'd be staring at the bottom of the table. (*technically it doesn't fold, it sits in a shallow pocket against the bulkhead and has a latch at the top.)

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...nt-in-85-catalina-30-mki.173579/#post-1497048

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
JE,
Try to post a few photos of the table, so we know what you are going to be refurbishing or fabricating.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Your table looks like it has formica laminate on the top which can be removed with lacquer thinner and new laminate applied. The bottom can be covered with a graphic so it can be seen when the table is stored against the wall.

I have use a two part epoxy, at Lowes it is called bar top coating, to laminate photos on table tops. Using the old table, a new top can be glued on the old, as you said, it may not fold together. If you remount the piano hinge to allow for the additional thickness you will be all right.