ID Newport Model

Jan 2, 2019
Newport 30 Gig Harbor, WA
Hi all,
I'm about to purchase a Newport 30. Sitting home I'm realizing I dont know the year or model. Can anyone help decoding the serial number or identifying some other way if it's a MkI..II etc? I wont be able to get to the boat for a while..but I have the number and some pics..
Jazzy

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Lots of HIN decoders out there. Like the VIN on a car the tell you model manufacturer year and serial number. This is just the first one that piped up. HIN should be on your paperwork and starboard near or on transom.
https://hindecoder.com/

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
What happened to the site where you could post a vessel name and get the ownership history?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats @Jazzydaze on your new to you boat.. Exciting times.
Now you end to show pictures. After all this is a safe space to brag about your boat. We all like pictures.

Jan 2, 2019
Coming from a Montgomery 17...it feels huge and scary and has alot more ???? What the hell is this??? Where does....why is......to it. Lol I'm stoked.

Oct 22, 2014
I had a M15... Now a CAL35C. I understand your conundrum.
It all works out in the end. I have spent many an hour sitting in the cockpit just looking and imagining.

Jan 2, 2019
My to do list is ridiculous already...shes up in Anacortes WA and I need to bring her to Gig Harbor...figuring at best 17 hours of cold wet fun. Slips not ready for a month so I have some time to make lots of 2 hour drives. It's been sitting a while. I'm all ears if you all have stuff for me! Check back tomorrow..thanks!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Planning on the ditch or admiralty inlet. If the ditch @Terry Cox is the resident expert to keep you from getting stuck. It can be exciting, once I went thru will less than a foot of water under me.

Les

Oct 22, 2014
@Jazzydaze you have some fun ahead.

Yes @LeslieTroyer is correct you have 2 routes to take. Both fraught with excitement or danger depending on your skills and planning.

Your boat (if an unaltered 1978 Newport Mk2) has a 4.75 draft. Les has a 6 ft draft. You have a bit more room to get over the drifting sand shoals that plague the south end of the Swinomish Channel referred to as the Ditch by many sailors. Timing is everything. It is not a long distance but you do not to try it at a minus tide with your eyes glued to the depth gauge telling you there is less water then your keel is deep. Tends to stress the captain out.
Check out the links they will help you in planning.
http://www.portofskagit.com/la-conner-marina/navigating-the-swinomish-channel/
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/swinomish-channel-advice.90041/
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/swinomish-updates.186543/page-2

Looking at the boat data your Newport has the potential for 6.8 knots (hull speed) If you average more like 5.5 with tides in your favor (higher ground speed) you should make it in two 8 hour or less day sails.

The route through Admiralty Inlet can be a hoot with a beam reach and a following sea...
Hadley Admiralty Inlet 2017.jpg
Here is me on S/V Hadley at the end of a 10 hour cruise, sails full on a starboard reach having just rounded Pt Wilson Light near Port Townsend. It was a glorious evening to be sailing across the Juan D'Fuca Strait.

Drop me a PM and I'll be glad to share my experiences.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Turns out to be 1978 Mk II...and MINE! Whooot!
Glad you made the dive on your new boat. Always a challenge. Now the fun begins. Horizons become much bigger and so much more intriguing.

A safe way from Anacortes south this time of the year, due to unsettled weather in Admiralty Inlet, would be through Swinomish Channel; AKA the ditch, as Les suggested. If it were me I would plan on at least three days to Gig Harbor because of the shorter daylight hours. Day one to Everett Marina. Day two either Port Orchard or Blake Island. Day three Gig Harbor and home.

Check your tides. Currents can make a big difference on sail time to destination. The following link will give you some details on transiting the ditch. Leaving Anacortes on a mid flood will scoot you through the ditch in a hurry. That should put you close to an early ebb south into Saratoga Pass to Everett. Leaving Everett on a mid to late ebb to Possession Sound should put you close to an early flood to all points south.

Please keep us posted on you sail plan and progress. Welcome.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...siting-the-ditch-er-swinomish-channel.176907/

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Heading to her in the morning for tracing..hunting..confusion!
As a foot note, I'm assuming you've done some sort of marine survey and sea trial before purchase. Very important before heading out into uncertain weather and unfamiliar waters. Did notice in your pics the absence of an anchor, the most important system on the boat. You need to test it before heading out just to make sure it is in good working order and that you know how to use it. You just never know.

Engine runs well, hopefully. If it stops en-route, the anchor will help protect you and the boat from any hazards, at least until a rescue boat arrives to offer assistance. Sails need some sort of breeze to move the boat along, so time to check the rigging, related sheets, clutches, winches, etc. in the event you find them handy making speed over ground without the pesky engine noise.

Depending upon the amount of time you want to take getting home, slowing things down a bit, La conner, midway down the ditch, offers a very nice layover. Kingston, across Admiralty Inlet from Edmonds, is another nice layover place heading south.

On the other hand if you choose coming down Admiralty Inlet, as suggested by John, that involves a different sail plan than here. Lots of choices.

Jan 2, 2019
Hi guys I I'm out of town for a bit and wishing I was tinkering! Since I'm on my phone I will update whenI gel back, probably tonight. But I will leave this for comment:
knowing the engine(A4.) runs but not for how long, skipping the skinny hairy channel is appealing! LOL
Ja z zy