Swinomish updates?

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
Hey all...ended up going Seattle to Oak Harbor on Friday, getting up at 4 AM to guarantee arrival at Deception Pass at slack, and then crossed to Deer Harbor. Uneventful except for some engine problems...

Sitting at anchor in Indian Cove on Shaw Island trying to figure out tonight's destination. Indian Cove is a great spot but wouldn't be pleasant in a southerly. Plenty of room to anchor and the beach is great.

Brian

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Thanks for the back eddy info John, I've been trying to figure those out, makes a huge difference!

Brian

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Happy for your sail Brian. Hope you have great weather.
Kind of hate the O Dark hundred departures but when it helps the transit it all works out.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
I will be going thru Deception Pass next Friday. I use web site deepzoom to get tides and current info. It has been right on every time. http://deepzoom.com/ Easy to use on my phone. It makes Deception Pass just a timing issue.

Oct 22, 2014
Deepzoom is a cool graphical program available to PC's using Windows browser.

Deception Pass is a timing issue. Sometimes you have to wake at 4AM to get through. Fortunately there are parks on the East and West entrances so you miss the timing and you can rest till the current favors your passage.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
I agree, Cornet Bay on the east side is a great place to wait out the west bound tide change. Bowman on the other side is also nicely protected.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Swinomish Channel update. Came through late yesterday afternoon on a flood. Swinging bridge (railroad) closed for repairs beginning June through November between a minus three foot ebb and a plus three foot flood. Bridge open outside those tide states. Project involves replacing many piles and cribbing that surrounds the bridge foundation (long overdue).

So I'm under sail heading south in the channel on the beginning flood. Ah shucks, the swinging bridge is closed and there is a large barge doing work on the bridge. I stow the sail and approach under power. As I get close the closure sign reads between June and November. Back to Anacortes then Deception Pass the next day cross my mind. Then I read the smaller print regarding minus three foot ebb and plus three foot flood. My GPS tide state for the channel read plus 2.7 feet. I can wait for this! About that time the bridge opening gears begin to grind and slowly the bridge swings open to allow Belle-Vie safe passage.

Here is an article that I wrote awhile ago based on my experience over the years transiting "The Ditch". https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...siting-the-ditch-er-swinomish-channel.176907/

Last edited:

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Hey again. Made it back to Seattle this afternoon. The final itinerary ended up being Seattle, Oak Harbor, Deer Harbor, Indian Cove (Shaw Island), Friday Harbor, Spencer Spit, Rosario Resort, Skyline Marina on Fidalgo, through Deception Pass to Coupeville, Kingston, and back home. One of these times I'm going to stay somewhere for more than one night...

Not a lot of sailing, but crossing Rosario Strait from Rosario Resort to Skyline Marina was the highlight, 18-22 on a close reach the whole way across.

Anyway, a bunch of new places for me and no disasters, so a good trip!

Brian

Oct 22, 2014
Nice to hear Brian. Sounds like a San Juan fun filled adventure.

Dec 25, 2000
Way to go Brian. Nice spots that you picked. Parks Bay, I swear, has become my new second home, or maybe third behind Eagle Harbor. Very nice anchorage across San Juan channel from Friday Harbor, no shore access, but always a worthwhile experience.

Last Thursday morning I'm crossing Bellingham Channel from Eagle Harbor heading for the north end of Guemes on my way to Anacortes in a gusting southerly. Mostly 12 to 14 MPH winds then they ease away. Usually I can read the water when a gust approaches, but the angle of the sun blocks that ability. Wham!!! A 22MPH gust hits Belle-Vie on a close reach point of sail and waaayyy over she goes rail in the water. Skipper caught flat footed, but manage to grab the helm, head into the wind and pinch her to ease the pressure. Whew! Stuff strewn all about below decks, skipper must regain his composure. Time to ease the sheets and head a bit down wind, which helped a great deal. No damage to gear, but skipper, well...

Dec 25, 2000
Did Colin get his autopilot fixed?
Yup, works great. Wheel drive motor died. Ordered the part for him from Defender while in Parks Bay as he does not have a phone by choice. Arrived a week later to Friday Harbor Marina.

Oct 22, 2014
Hi all. With the swinging bridge on the north end of the channel often blocking traffic, I took a bit of time to write this thinking not many boaters would be venturing through these narrow waters. But that will be changing and maybe a few more folk will be utilizing this route for winter cruises.

On my last trip, I cruised the channel 7th of September from the Whidbey Island side to La Conner and then back out on the 8th. Met fishing boats and a few trawlers in channel but was the lone sailboat. We traveled on a +1 foot tide during the minor cycle.

Cruising the south end of the channel during high tide then again at low tide really solidifies the need to know the waters you want to cruise. At high tide it is a water wonderland with miles of water luring you to explore (only in a flat bottom boat). At low tide it becomes a desert beach for miles, showing the shallows just ready to halt the boater who ventures outside of the marked channel. Heard a story (from a Tug Captain who could not stop laughing) of a large power boat owner exiting the "Hole in the Wall" and seeing all that water decided to shorten his cruise to the San Juan Islands by turning north near Green 11 marker charting a beeline to Deception Pass.
He managed to accelerate right over the rocks and impale the boat on the sand resting 2 feet beneath the water.

I did notice that the channel by Red #6 was notably shoaling. Near #8, I recorded channel depths of 10-13 feet. Then 8-7 and 6.5 feet as I neared Red #6 traveling east-west. I slowed and weaved but could not get deeper, more comfortable readings, til I was 40 yards past #6 going west. I get by on 5 plus feet of water. Would not want to try the channel during a minus tide til they do some dredging.

La Conner is a fun place. My wife found a (new to us) bed and breakfast Katy's Inn. Whitey's BBQ is great food (on the left as you walk to town. Still awaiting his liquor license). La Conner Pub & Eatery (known as "The Tavern") has a great variety of brews, and a few local pool sharks who will gladly test your skills.

Sail safe.

Dec 25, 2000
On my last trip, I cruised the channel 7th of September from the Whidbey Island side to La Conner and then back out on the 8th. Met fishing boats and a few trawlers in channel but was the lone sailboat. We traveled on a +1 foot tide during the minor cycle.
Hi John, nice write-up. Thank you.

Dec 25, 2000
thanks. I may need to go through in mid to late October with a 5'6" keel.
Just to be clear, if you want to make a complete transit of the channel from the south entrance to the north entrance, assuming you're coming from Seattle, I recommend you arrive at the south entrance at the beginning of an ebb. That way you should have a good ebbing current that will take you out the north entrance. It will take about 30 minutes from the south entrance to the Rainbow bridge. You should experience little current at the beginning of the ebb, but once you reach Laconner will begin to build with a nice push north.

You can also layover in Laconner at the guest dock until you have a favorable ebb for departure that will time with an open swinging bridge. It is about eight miles from the Rainbow bridge to the north entrance channel marker. I prefer to follow the ebb current (current runs two plus knots on a full tide swing) at seven plus knots over ground as opposed to four knots bucking the current.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...siting-the-ditch-er-swinomish-channel.176907/