i got carried away...

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Here is the inside of my south coast 22... I had already cut out the plywood galley on the starboard side. I was planning on replacing the knee for the starboard chain plate and the port side bulkhead, also where the chain plate mounts. An hour later it was all gone..... by my rough math,
3 sheets of plywood should put it back together, with a slight redesign, as I never intend to use it for more than storage. This is a trial run for practice fitting installing bulkheads and interior bits on a great project down the road. Please stay tuned for progress updates.

I am not sure what the fiberglass tube in the bottom of the hull is, perhaps for moving it at the factory? There were 2 dead critters in the flotation. That makes 4 total dead critters so far.... A grand total of 9 feed sacks full of rotten foam.

20210223_163521.jpg
20210223_170510.jpg
20210223_170705.jpg
20210223_163524.jpg
20210223_170914.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That tube might be a stringer. Stiffens a flat section of the hull so it won’t flex under load.

Aug 10, 2020
not long at all. I would say less than 3 hours to this point. a cordless sawzall and and oscillating multi tool make quick work of it. A 36 grit flap disc eats the old tabbing pretty fast after that. Digging out the foam took the longest. I am curious as to how it will handle with out 150lbs of water logged rotten foam in the bow.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
New boat!!!
Then what would @SailingLoto have to work on, other than the his other 2 boats.:) Some of us just enjoy fixing up old boats. My boat turns 46 years old in another month and everything is working fine. But I still like to tinker with it. Humm, maybe fresh water cooling for the old Atomic 4, but then my wife says we sail in fresh water. Then I ask her why she always wants to flush the jetboat, we have, every time we come home....

Aug 10, 2020
When you go to fit your plywood back in, look into a technique called spiling. It is for fitting planks and plywood into odd shaped spaces.
That was my plan for the stringers were there is less curvature. The bulkheads themselves I will make a rough template of the curve with paint sticks and hot glue, cut slightly over sized and grind to fit.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
That was my plan for the stringers were there is less curvature. The bulkheads themselves I will make a rough template of the curve with paint sticks and hot glue, cut slightly over sized and grind to fit.
I like to use old cardboard boxes to make templets. Easy to cut and shape then off to recycle so clean up is easy too.

Jun 17, 2020
Venture 222 93333 Grand Isle, VT
Wow, awesome! I've got some old rotten plywood to replace as well, because my '72 V222 predates the glass lined cabin. I've got some leaks to chase down as well, but I'm hoping as it warms up in the next few weeks I'll be able to resume work. Thanks for the inspiration, love the progress shots!

Aug 10, 2020
Wow, awesome! I've got some old rotten plywood to replace as well, because my '72 V222 predates the glass lined cabin. I've got some leaks to chase down as well, but I'm hoping as it warms up in the next few weeks I'll be able to resume work. Thanks for the inspiration, love the progress shots!
hopefully I get some of interior bits cut and fitted tomorrow. I picked up the plywood and 2 gallons of resin today.

This pop top left me with over half a sheet of 3/8. It may become the side decks or core for the foredeck.

I need to sit down and total up what I've invested in this "free boat" so far. It's minimal, but I'm curious.

Aug 10, 2020
Front v berth area all fitted and glassed back in. I tabbed the bulkhead on both sides. 2 layers inside and out. 3 layers tie in the keel trunk. 1 layer on the seam, 2 down the sides.

So far I have used almost an entire piece of 1/2" plywood. Half a sheet of 3/8 plywood. 2 gallons of resin. I don't count the mat as I have a huge roll I've been using for years. Hopefully the main bulkheads go in tomorrow and I can start figuring out stringers.

Minus the engine, title and registration, I have right at $300 in it so far.

Attachments