i got carried away...

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Warmer weather brought on other projects, green house, garden, etc. I found some time this evening to cut and fit my port bulk head for where the chain plate goes. I got the starboard side cut, but not fit as there was thru hull fitting in the way. I glassed up the hole, but ran out of day light before it cured up. Maybe tomorrow I can make some more progress. I have back burnered my big boat until this one is usable again. I can't launch my big one until May, so I have some time

Attachments

Aug 10, 2020
Starboard bulkhead fitted and glassed in. I jacked the boat off the trailer for this side. It originally just had a knee and the bottom was depressed from the trailer bunk and no support. By jacking it up and wedging the bulkhead into place it pushed most of the depression out where the bulkhead sits against the bunk. I will probably continue doing this as I go aft.

On the downside.... The port bulkhead got bumped, moved, shifted as it cured and sits too far back and doesn't line up with the slot in the deck for the chain plate. I guess I will make a plywood shim and glass it in place to bring it to where it needs to be.

Attachments

Aug 10, 2020
The knee for the rear stay was glassed to the deck before mounting the hull to the deck. There was no clearance to cut the old one out, grind it down and glass a new one in...

This was my solution....
I cut the knee out, cutting beyond the factory tabbing so I would have room to bond the new knee in. I used the old section of knee as a pattern, glassed it in place.

To reinstall, I have laid up a 5×18 section of glass on foil so I can remove it. I will cut it into strips, bond those to the inside to make a lip to mount the section I cut out to. Then I will feather out the repair and glass the perimeter back together where I cut it out.

Pics probably tell the story better than I do.

If you have any recommendations on how to do this better, please say so.

I also managed to cut out a section of the old transom ply. The bottom few inches are soft, including where the lower rudder mount is. I cut a peice out, made new one, bedded it in with milled glass and resin.

Attachments

Aug 10, 2020
Clearly not finished, but it is glassed back in place. I was too busy with resin and mat to take pictures.

I ended up making 3/8 plywood tabs to support the back side. I borrow a small cordless grinder to grind the backside, wet out the wood, laid up 4 layers of mat on the ply. I screwed them in place leacing half of the ply/mat exposed. I the ground the part i was glassing back in and screwed it yo the glass covered ply as well. One cured I v'd it out about 3-4" and laid up the exterior, brushing with waxed gelcoat after tacking up.

In theory it should strong. It sure feels solid.

Any input or questions are welcome.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How satisfying to see this all come together at your own hands. Beatiful work.

It will be a different feeling seeing sail in this boat than one you just bought. I love what you're doing.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 10, 2020
How satisfying to see this all come together at your own hands. Beatiful work.

It will be a different feeling seeing sail in this boat than one you just bought. I love what you're doing.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Thank you! It's been a fun project to learn on. I am down to 2 stringers, a small bulkhead and another seat and the inside will be ready to sand and paint.

The really impressive thing to me is how differently she sits on the trailer now. She sits more proudly and looks much more solid, and properly shaped. It's crazy how much they form to the trailer after years of rot and water.

Aug 10, 2020
I cut out the port side deck last night. Tonight I fit 3/8 plywood for the new core. I bedded it in resin and milled glass. I will grind it down a bit and glass it in tomorrow if the weather cooperates and I have time.

After much deliberation, the last 2 sections of stringer will be made from 2x4 and will sit directly over the trailer bunks. The hull has a fairly flat span of about 4ft from just forward of the companionway aft. The bottom slopes up, but without much curvature. I will tab them in vertically and frame up a support for the cockpit floor, which will get replaced sometime in the future.

My current guess is about 25 hours labor to this point. 5 gallons of resin (I originally bought 2, then said screw it and bought a 5 gallon pail), of the 3 sheets of plywood I purchased, I have used all the 1/2", but have nearly half the 3/4 and 3x8 left.

The mat, gelcoat, and abrasives I already had from my shop.
20210330_165840.jpg