• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Hurricane Sally <--- TS Sally

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Are there any gauges or buoy's that I can monitor to see the real time storm surge in Lake Pontchartrain?
Not that I am aware of. You might check with the Lake Ponchartrain Basin Foundation, one of the New Orleans tv station weather departments, or the National Weather Service office in Slidell. Please let me know if there is such info available.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Only thing that I could find is a NOAA weather station at the New Basin Canal in New Orleans (#8761927). Reports weather & tide data in real time. Unfortunately the info isn’t pertinent for the the Northshore; however, you can monitor the trending increase in water level to get some idea of what’s happening.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Y'all stay safe now!
We are good at home. Full house propane generator and elevation 70 feet. Home survived Katrina as well.
In fact we may house a few refugees.:cool:

Boat now ready for 10 foot surge. My landlubber construction crew did our boat and 2 others. In two hours.:clap:

I had to lend some spare 3/4 inch lines for the other boats.;)

Sipping a cold one now.:beer:
Sally smaller.jpeg

Prepared Jim..

PS: Thank you all for your concerns!!:)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
We are good at home. Full house propane generator and elevation 70 feet. Home survived Katrina as well.
In fact we may house a few refugees.:cool:

Boat now ready for 10 foot surge. My landlubber construction crew did our boat and 2 others. In two hours.:clap:

I had to lend some spare 3/4 inch lines for the other boats.;)

Sipping a cold one now.:beer:
View attachment 184932

Prepared Jim..

PS: Thank you all for your concerns!!:)
God be with her...and you...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Not to nitpick but I don't think that storm surge experimental model did so well for the last storm - did it? Seems like the surges turned out to be significantly less than predicted by the model.
But more on point,
"Ride Sally Ride" Hope this link works...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Sometimes higher than forecasted; sometimes lower. Lots of variables to deal with.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Hurricane Sally is moving more Eastward.

Mobile Al and Pensacola FL still have time to prepare.

The Cat 2 part is on the the North East Quadrant.
_____
We are seeing NNEast winds 24 knots, now here, indicating the turn to the East also.

Dammit Jim...

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Did all my prep the last time we were at the boat. Stripped the canvas and reset all the chafe guards. She's in a hurricane hole on a floating dock and we are 12 hours non-stop drive time from the boat. I got a friend who is going to check on her Thursday when he gets down to his boat.

The guy who usually keeps tabs on her lives in Zone 1 Orange Beach, Alabama. And I haven't heard from him about where he is at right now.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Did all my prep the last time we were at the boat. Stripped the canvas and reset all the chafe guards. She's in a hurricane hole on a floating dock and we are 12 hours non-stop drive time from the boat. I got a friend who is going to check on her Thursday when he gets down to his boat.

The guy who usually keeps tabs on her lives in Zone 1 Orange Beach, Alabama. And I haven't heard from him about where he is at right now.

Wish you all the best and a safe outcome.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
A good blow out here but everything as far as I can see is OK. A few branches on the ground and I pumped about eight inches of water out of the pool. Tree across the street is acing on the powerline wonder how long we keep power. Hopefully it's as well further out than I ventured this morning.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Above weather station indicates 6.8 ‘ surge at downtown Pensacola. Jim Cantore walking in knee deep water on Palafox street (bayside). Predicting 24” rainfall. There’s got to be significant amounts of trees & power lines down from duration of wind & rain. Imagine that beach erosion will be substantial from expected duration of storm. Huge concrete pier at gulf shores broken apart by wave action. Powerful storm, even at cat 2.
We were extremely fortunate here. No measurable rainfall, 30 mph gusts, 3-4 foot surge in lake.