Hunter smile / keel movement

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Did you know that the winged keel is attached to the boat fiberglass?

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 9.46.05 AM.png

Making better sense now?

Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Oops I was wrong, sorry.
Your keel is inside your Fiberglass hull.
Jim...

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
My Hunter 376 manual has a section that details out the keel construction including keel bolt placement where it adjoins the hull and the bolts that hold the bulb to the fin (confirming that, at least on the 376, the keel and bulb are separate pieces).

If you don't have a hard copy of the manual the manuals are pretty easy to find online. I even found a Hunter FTP site that had info. I'm on my phone right now but I'll post it tomorrow when I'm on my computer.

Doug

@Gypsy hunter
How do you know that keel comes in two pieces?

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Here's the manuals link on the current Marlow Hunter website:

I was mistaken, though--the keel info wasn't in the manual--it was in a separate "boat information" section on the Marlow hunter site.

If you go here:

You'll find the 336 info including a diagram of the keel construction. It's not as detailed as some of the other drawings, but it may help a little bit.

For everyone else, here's the higher level model information site:

Doug

My Hunter 376 manual has a section that details out the keel construction including keel bolt placement where it adjoins the hull and the bolts that hold the bulb to the fin (confirming that, at least on the 376, the keel and bulb are separate pieces).

If you don't have a hard copy of the manual the manuals are pretty easy to find online. I even found a Hunter FTP site that had info. I'm on my phone right now but I'll post it tomorrow when I'm on my computer.

Doug

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@MysticBlue and @duck21

Doug and Moderator

the information that Doug referenced to is somewhere on this site. It was information assimilated by Eddie Breeden,, retired Hunter Marine Warranty Manager, and Jim Seamons who owned a Catalina 14.2, Hunter 19 water ballast,Hunter 260 and Hunter 356 from remaining files found in remaining archives.

Mars Metals who casted keels came on board appx in 1998; thus, the former keel manufacturer was Mayfield but probably out of business but discontinued building keels first. No other information or information is available. @duck21 wss gracious to share the owners manual on his Hunter 376 should be comparable to @MysticBlue keel.

I did speak with Al and Mike on this site who were former Hunter employees. The wings are bolted onto the wing bulb. A lead insert was placed into the bilge area but not sure if it was fiberglassed in. There are three bolts as reported holding the keel on but not sure on that. However I do not know of any keel bolts we’re ever glazed in by Hunter Marine as I was a Hunter dealer until 2010.

at no time should the keel ever move when bolted in place. Hopefully this will help you