Hunter 49 Solar Panel Installation Advice

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
I have a 2007 Hunter 49 that I purchased recently. I am planning to install rigid solar panels on to the existing davits and arch structure. Looking for ideas/advice on:
1) Where others have installed the MPPT controller?
2) Where wires were fished/routed from the panels to the controller?
3) Where did you connect the pos and neg wires from the controller to? Did you use the positive and neg bus bars closest to the batteries?
4) Anything else that you think is helpful or you learned with your installation.

I have attached an image of the wiring diagram that matches my boat set-up (Optional Inverter System Layout) to assist with any responses. Appreciate the advice!

Attachments

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
So, my big question is “why?”
I’m guessing your boat has the FP generator, which when run for about 1 hour a day will completely charge the batteries.
I looked at putting panels on my boat, but couldn’t justify it being on the Great Lakes.
Now, if your boat is in the Caribbean, etc., then that’s a different story.
I’ve only seen one other 49 with solar panels.
Don’t forget, that by lying them flat on top of the framework, you aren’t aiming them at the sun, (except at noon), and this greatly reduces efficiency.
So, I’d take a serious look at if the excercise is going to be efficient, and meet your power needs.

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
Thanks for the reply.

I am getting the boat ready to be a liveaboard which will include the geography you mentioned, albeit several years away. I have a Next Gen generator that works well. However, I would like to have redundancy and use the generator less. Currently we are on a mooring or anchor, so we do rely on the Next Gen quite a bit.

By the lack of replies to this post, I agree there are likely not many 49’s with solar panels. I have seen numerous installs on 49’s via Google searches and boat ads though. S/V Finally currently listed on Yachtworld is an example I have seen recently 2007 Hunter 49 Cruiser for sale - YachtWorld and is similar to my planned installation.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Daze, the Hunter 49 is reported first built in 2007, and now out of production. She looks like a very nice boat. Her $300K plus price tag in the economic downturn was likely not a plus for her sales potential. I do not suspect there is a large base of owners out there who have completed the top of the arch project you propose.

So you may have to do the engineering on your own. Following the designs of other large boats would provide clues to solving your specific problem. Using an existing structure like your arch or a bimini is a common practice. Selecting the panels will be important to your successful charging expectations. Some panels shut down if partial shade covers a portion of the panel. You will want to assure your design keeps the panels in the sun to optimize their performance. The latitudes near the equator will give you better results when the panels are parallel to the water. A way to remove the panels in dangerous weather will help as it is clear that boarding water and high velocity wind will destroy panels and things they fly against.

Perhaps suggesting your thinking and opening it up for discussion will gain feedback to your design and provide help in your planning.

Jan 21, 2018
Hunter P42 Ft Lauderdale
I am also in the process of installing solar on my P42, starting with 600watts. My main motivation is having fresh water regardless of where we are and without having to budget our limited supply of diesel till next fuel dock.

Hope to see some answers to your questions. I have the same questions, but for a different model.

Jan 21, 2018
Hunter P42 Ft Lauderdale
I am thinking of mounting the charge controller just outside the engine compartment under the selector/breaker/generator panel to facilitate heat dissipation. My inverter/charger was installed inside the engine compartment and regularly goes into overtemp because of heat from the generator, burning diesel for no reason until it cools, which does not happen quickly because the generator is creating more heat.

As I write this, it occurs to me that I need to check clearance in that area for removing the washer/dryer.

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
I plan to keep mine out of any enclosed space as well. I believe I can locate it in the nav station area which is where the majority of my panels are located. Makes a relatively short and easy run to the battery bus bars.

Jan 21, 2018
Hunter P42 Ft Lauderdale
I have also been eyeing the knee space under the nav station as a ventilated space for the charger. The difference is a two foot cable run vs a ten foot run under the floor. Can both chargers use the same cables if they are under the nav station?

Although my reading suggests that it is not a problem, I am still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of two “intelligent” chargers trying to execute a charge profile on the same battery bank without knowing about the other. And then there is the engine alternator running at the same time...

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
That is my understanding. You may have already seen these videos from Pacific Yacht Systems. There are several solar install videos (under boat show presentations) and he addresses multiple controllers. Videos | Pacific Yacht Systems

Jan 4, 2019
Hunter 50 Halifax & Martinique
I have four 130 w panels mounted above the bimini on my Hunter 50. The four controlers are mounted under the starboard settee. In Martinique I can fully recharge my batteries, make water and run my systems with solar on a clear day.
IMG_0835 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
Thank you Laid-back. The information and picture are helpful. I plan to add a water-maker after my solar install. Could you share where yours is installed and what make & model you decided on?

Jan 4, 2019
Thank you Laid-back. The information and picture are helpful. I plan to add a water-maker after my solar install. Could you share where yours is installed and what make & model you decided on?
Our water maker is a Spectra Catalina 340 Z that runs off of 12 volt producing 14 gpm. The main unit is installed under the forward starboard settee shown in the photo along with 2 boxes of filters and parts. The output runs to a small manifold where I can choose which of the 3 water tanks to fill. The fresh water flush and prefilters are mounted in the forward area of the central bilge above the seacocks. A nice feature of the Hunter 49/50 is that there is lots of room for everything. I also included a closeup of the frame system supporting the solar panel, wind generator and davit system. Other than food we were very comfortably self sufficient during months of lockdown in Martinique.

BC-aICNw_jpeg.jpg
IMG_0712 (2).JPG

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
The pictures really help when thinking about my install. Thank you for taking the time to send them.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I have four 130 w panels mounted above the bimini on my Hunter 50. The four controlers are mounted under the starboard settee. In Martinique I can fully recharge my batteries, make water and run my systems with solar on a clear day.View attachment 185472
Hi,
2 sorta unrelated questions on your install.
I notice a tall stainless post on the port side of your davits. What is installed on this?
Next, are you using a Magna cover to cover your plotter, or Is your bbq actually mounted mid cockpit?
Btw, any technical reason to remove your wheels, or is it just for cockpit space, or possibly because these “disappear “ if left accessible?

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Our water maker is a Spectra Catalina 340 Z that runs off of 12 volt producing 14 gpm. The main unit is installed under the forward starboard settee shown in the photo along with 2 boxes of filters and parts. The output runs to a small manifold where I can choose which of the 3 water tanks to fill. The fresh water flush and prefilters are mounted in the forward area of the central bilge above the seacocks. A nice feature of the Hunter 49/50 is that there is lots of room for everything. I also included a closeup of the frame system supporting the solar panel, wind generator and davit system. Other than food we were very comfortably self sufficient during months of lockdown in Martinique.

View attachment 185476View attachment 185477
2 questions :
You stated this at 14 gpm. I think it’s 14gph.
why did you install a manifold to select which tank to fill? Why not just plumb into the existing tank manifold, and dump water into all 3 tanks evenly?

Jan 4, 2019
Hi,
2 sorta unrelated questions on your install.
I notice a tall stainless post on the port side of your davits. What is installed on this?
Next, are you using a Magna cover to cover your plotter, or Is your bbq actually mounted mid cockpit?
Btw, any technical reason to remove your wheels, or is it just for cockpit space, or possibly because these “disappear “ if left accessible?
- I have a MarineKinetix 400 watt wind generator mounted on the pole, as seen on the photo below. Its a nice compliment to the solar in the Caribbean where windy nights are common during the winter.

- The BBQ cover is just used to cover the plotter.

- We remove the wheels when storing the boat for hurricane season to reduce UV damage to the wheel coverings. In the photo, we were leaving the boat for 2 months so I removed them for the same reason.
-OV8raBg_jpeg.jpg
so I

Jan 4, 2019
2 questions :
You stated this at 14 gpm. I think it’s 14gph.
why did you install a manifold to select which tank to fill? Why not just plumb into the existing tank manifold, and dump water into all 3 tanks evenly?
Yes 14 gph is correct.

The previous owner did the install on the water maker, although I do like the setup and would do it the same way. The existing water manifold is under pressure, which the water make would not like. The "manifold " from the water maker is just a shutoff valve that can connect to a hose from any of the 3 tanks.

Sometimes the water tank gauges can be a bit flakey, requiring a tap on the sender to reset the float which can lead to unexpected surprises. With 3 tanks, I like keeping them separated so that I know I always have one tank full on reserve. I have on occasion allowed the water maker to fill 2 tanks at once, but I prefer to fill them and use them one tank at a time making it simpler to monitor water usage and water maker output.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
- I have a MarineKinetix 400 watt wind generator mounted on the pole, as seen on the photo below. Its a nice compliment to the solar in the Caribbean where windy nights are common during the winter.

- The BBQ cover is just used to cover the plotter.

- We remove the wheels when storing the boat for hurricane season to reduce UV damage to the wheel coverings. In the photo, we were leaving the boat for 2 months so I removed them for the same reason.View attachment 185562 so I
Other than being lowered from a helicopter, how do you access the wind generator? Must be a little challenging.
ratio-wise what percentage of the overall power comes from the solar panels?
Have you thought of getting wheel covers made? I have them on mine, and it’s worked out quite well.
If you’re looking to recover them, boatleather.com has terrific options for this.
The original covers were not all that attractive, and didn’t weather well.
On Lake Ontario, neither solar or wind make any sense. I’m at a yacht club dock most of the time, and if I’m cruising for 3-4 weeks, the genset is more than perfect. The amount of fuel it consumes is negligible.