Hunter 49 keels

Jan 4, 2019
Hunter 50 Halifax & Martinique
I understand that some, but not all Hunter 49 models have lead keels. Does anyone know what year/draft versions have or don't have them? I have received inconsistent answers from brokers.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I believe that Hunters built after 2007 are Cast Iron keels, before that are lead.
From a Sail Magazine Article Sept 2006
Construction: Hull is solid hand-laid fiberglass below
the waterline and cored with end-grain balsa above. Bow is
reinforced with Kevlar. Deck is cored with end-grain balsa;
hardware mounting points are backed with solid-aluminum plates. Keel is lead. All through-hulls are bronze. Hull-to-deck joint is formed by two outward-turning flanges that are both bolted and bonded with 5200 adhesive.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you want to make sure, Mars Metals in Canada produced all the keels for Hunter. Have year and hull number but probably cast iron at that point. Also you could check with Al who is with SBO as he may know the answer.

oharag

Dec 6, 2018
NA NA PA
Hi, found this forum post through google search. Speaking of Lead/Cast Iron and the Hunter 49 Keel. I was perusing Hunter 49 boats for sail. I noticed rust at the Keel/Hull interface in one of the pics (attached). Obviously being new to sailboats, but a little naive - is the rust shown at point of serious concern to anyone on this forum? Somewhere else there was a thread that stated this was not a matter of concern - that it can be easily repaired. I'm sure if I was interested in this particular boat I would have a surveyor take a look at the keel bolts, etc...

Again is the attached pic a matter of concern for anyone on this forum?

Literature from Hunter 49 stated Lead Keel but did not specify year of boat. So somewhere along the way Hunter made the switch to cast iron?

thanks

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If you are looking and it is on the hard. Get a big magnet to test it.;)

All the looks rusty in not necessarily Iron.
Jim...

oharag

Dec 6, 2018
NA NA PA
If you are looking and it is on the hard. Get a big magnet to test it.;)

All the looks rusty in not necessarily Iron.
Jim...
I have not seen the boat first hand. Just was concerned over what looks like rust. Though having read a few forums on the internets - this seems like a common problem issue with Cast Iron Keels.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Again is the attached pic a matter of concern for anyone on this forum?
Not normally. Diver can inspect that for deterioration. Under water there would be NO red steaks. Red, if Iron, would be the Oxidation process of Fe + O2 --> Fe2O3.
Clean up spot and repaint. Done.
I would be more concerned about the Keel Bolts that can be seen in the Bilge.
Jim...

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
I have not seen the boat first hand. Just was concerned over what looks like rust. Though having read a few forums on the internets - this seems like a common problem issue with Cast Iron Keels.
Rust will never hurt it, a rusty keel will still likely outlast the boat

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Can you get the broker or seller to provide a full shot of the keel. What year is the boat? Also ask for a photo of the keel bolts as well.
That will help to get better responses

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
What Crazy Dave said,, and also have them do the magnet test on the keel. If it's iron, it's an easy fix, if lead it could be a big problem.