Hunter 41DS boom preventer/brake leads

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Hi All,
I have a 2009 Hunter 41DS and want to install a boom brake. There are these u-bolts between the stanchions that look really sturdy and seem almost like they are there exactly for this.

On the boom - there is also an eye where the vang attaches. It seems to be only about 1/4 aft of the mast and most brake installation guides say to go back 1/3 to 1/2. I could see forces and boom strength maybe being an issue?

Attached are a couple of pics.

I am curious if anybody else has a brake or preventer installed, where things are attached, and whether it was installed by the factory, a professional or you did it yourself.

Swing the boom back and forth from these locations it seems it will work well - it slackens a bit when extended and would only rub on the cabin top on the lazy side.
IMG_0682.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG

Thanks in advance,
- Mike

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
pad eye not U-bolt but we get it. without knowing the the whole set up it is difficult to tell if your configuration would work. Can you get a athwart ship angle pic with boom vang and pad eye so we can see the fore-aft relationship?

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Boom brake, was thinking on the same attachment the vang is on. Seems too far forward (about 1/4 aft of mast) but have seen pics of others with that. Not as much force as a preventer obviously but still a bit worried about the leverage on the boom. Hence wondering what others have done.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I agree with you that using the attachment point the vang is on is too far forward on the boom for a preventer. And the geometry of that point to the padeyes just doesn't look like it would give you enough of a forward vector for a preventer to do its job. I've not been on a boat with a boom brake, so have no advice to offer for that.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Don't know if that pad eye is through bolted or just screwed int the toe rail. It may not be strong enough. Plus attaching the boom brake line that far outboard will present a trip hazard. Instead you can consider how I rigged mine by replacing the clevis pin on the chain plate with a shackle. That is a strong attachment point. The description of my system can be found here:

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...lock-tackle-on-hunter-34.177893/#post-1279990

You can buy another attachment point and slide it in that groove on your boom to a better location.

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Yeah, that is what I was wondering about the pad eye without looking underneath. Was hoping somebody had a 'factory' brake installed or had already looked themselves. Clevis pin is definitely the other option and definitely would be stronger - just a bit more money and time.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
MFD I believe there is a second hole on your inner chain plate that you can mount a D ring in. From there you want to go as far back on the boom as possible to ensure the least amount of forces on the brake. I really like the brake, I use it to ease the boom over on jibes as its's easier than pulling in on the main sheet and letting it back out again and faster adjustment on the new point of sail for the main sheet as well. I do attach to that toe rail ring and haven't had a problem but I can't attest to it's mounting style, bolted or screwed to advise you properly.