Solid vang verses block & tackle on hunter 34.

Feb 15, 2016
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Thinking of replacing my block and tackle vang with a solid one on my 1984 hunter 34. Advantages? Will it increase performance or is the expense etc not really worth it if the benifits are only slight. Doing some upgrades and I've noticed lots of boats with solid boom vangs and wondering what are the advantages over the tackle kind. What say you guys? Thanks!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Very simple: a vang is a vang is a vang. Soft or hard doesn't make any difference to the mainsail or boom. The only difference is that you don't need a topping lift with a rigid vang. Disclaimer: had soft vangs on my first two boats, rigid on this one (no topping lift).

Your boat, your choice. :)

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I've got a rigid vang (boom kicker) and I love it, no topping lift to take care of.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I've got a rigid vang (boom kicker) and I love it, no topping lift to take care of.
I was going to suggest a Boomkicker. He can still keep his soft vang and get rid of his topping lift.

Feb 15, 2016
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
The topping lift has never presented a problem for me. What is the reason one would want to get rid of it? And is getting rid of it worth $600? :). I would if it made a difference.

Aug 17, 2013
my boat came with the boomkicker so I can't complain, didn't know it was that expensive, but I do like it more knowing the price lol :)

kito

Sep 13, 2012
My K-1250 Boomkicker was only $240. I think the rigid vangs are at least twice that.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Do you have a Cunningham or Boom Brake?
I re-purposed my soft vang as a cunningham with the addition of a hook. (I use it for maintaining tension on the luff if the halyard slips. I also transfer it to the reef cringle and tension the luff without having to put it on the reef horns at the gooseneck.) You can see the vang/cunningham fiddle block laying on the deck at the base of the mast. Then I bought the Dutchman boom brake. As you can see from the photo (Its not supposed to be sideways :banghead:), I swapped the clevis pins on the aftermost shrouds for a shackle. The line through the boom brake from one side to the other is a fixed length (eye splices on both ends). I added a block to the bale where the vang used to be attached, one near the gooseneck and one more at the base of the mast. The boom brake control line then goes up to the first block, forward , down and under the seahood to a sheet stopper on the starboard side. I can use the main halyard winch to raise the boom brake tight anywhere it travels on the fixed line depending on where the boom is on a downwind course. Better yet, the boom brake works just like my vang did. Even when close hauled and a rough chop bounces the boom around messing up the sail shape, tensioning the brake helps that. And I still have my topping lift. I can't reef easily without it. I elevate the boom (after loosening the brake and sheet) and pull the leech of the sail down to a reef point without a winch. Then drop the topping lift again.
Boom Brake 1.jpg
Boom Brake 2.jpg
Boom Brake 1.jpg Boom Brake 2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2016
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
I like your innovations! I have a Cunningham but using the block vang setup as one would give greater force for sure. Not sure how getting rid of the topping lift would hamper reefing because wouldn't a solid vang secure the boom anyway? What year is your hunter?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
My H34 is an '85. I'm not sure what the full range is for a solid vang but I find the ablity to hoist the boom up a couple of feet makes it easier to reef and really be out of the way when at the dock. There is a post of my topping lift setup in the archives. Also, I have a topping lift anyway because I have a Dutchman sail flaking system.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I'm sorry but have never had an issue with the topping lift....one of my good friends just purchased a boom kicker for his
Catalina 22 and loves...but the topping lift being an issue was not the reason why.

Aug 17, 2013
it's just one more thing to forget, and down comes the boom, I suspect you only do it once and remember to adjust after :)

kito

Sep 13, 2012
For me it's just one less thing I don't have to mess with and have hanging from my mast. If I would be in need of a temporary topping lift, I could just use my auxiliary halyard.