Hunter 40.5 curling mast outhaul size

Jun 3, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Stamford CT
Hi all,

I have 1997 hunter 40.5 and have what I think is an oversized outhaul on my z-spar furling rig. The size is 7/8 or so. I think it's too heavy and has too much friction over the boom sheaves. It's also worn out badly so I need to replace. I contacted US spars and the said my boom is a Z480 and that 10 or 12mm would be better suited. What does any other 40.5 owners use for this?

Thanks. Below is the link I was given by z-spar for the rig models.

Glenn

http://www.usspars.com/boat-information/?vendor=Hunter&model=Hunter+40.5-Taper

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I also have a 1997 model but I never replace the outhaul. I do agree that a smaller line should work smoother with the internal tackle.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Dito Rich's comment, I have a 1993 model and have replaced the outhaul. Not for the faint of heart as you have to take the goose neck end off the boom and they are SS rivets. Bring a center punch, and 5 or 6 VERY sharp metal drill bits of the correct size to drill out the rivets. Might want to start working out the upper body now so you don't get so tired standing at the boom. Also draw a picture of the rigging BEFORE you take the lines off.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Dito Rich's comment, I have a 1993 model and have replaced the outhaul. Not for the faint of heart as you have to take the goose neck end off the boom and they are SS rivets. Bring a center punch, and 5 or 6 VERY sharp metal drill bits of the correct size to drill out the rivets. Might want to start working out the upper body now so you don't get so tired standing at the boom. Also draw a picture of the rigging BEFORE you take the lines off.
Couldn't you just splice the new line to the old and pull it through the sheaves? Then you would only have to disassemble if you were unlucky enough to have the line part.

Jun 3, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Stamford CT
Hi Guys,

Thanks. I used the old line as a pull and it was quite easy because the outhaul on the furling mast doesn't have a wire end like some other boats might with a standard main, this was quite easy. I used 3/8 inch and it's much better.

Glenn