Hunter 34 Vee Berth Void

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
Hi again with more questions as I did further into our new to us Hunter 34.

When I look at the molded liner for the Vee-Berths there appears a void/air pocket at the very front and aft of the forepeak under the bunk. Has anyone investigated this? Have you installed an inspection port into the space? Do you run any thing thru it?

I'm wondering how vital to structural integrity it is and if it should be left as is. I'm also worried about get holed in a space I can't access it repair.

Thanks as always for any advice or thoughts.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
picture would help me to understand.
I believe you are describing the storage compartments under the v berth?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Let's assume that the area you describe is not a designated storage locker and that there is no access...
If you cut a 4" round hole in the fiberglass and install an "O ringed" access cover plate,
you will not be compromising the liner. But, you won't be able to effect any
meaningful repairs with that size opening. And, if the existing chamber is totally sealed, why not leave it intact? If you do breach the chamber from the hull, it's still a watertight barrier from flooding the cabin.
MY humble opinion... YMMV.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
My experience with the area under the v berth was that it filled with about 6 inches of water due to a leak in the hose that drains the anchor locker to a thru hull at the bow. As Capt. Robbie indicated there are two compartments the one right under the berth and a larger one under that compartment.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
if one is small, then the space under the v-berth may be accessed by worming along the hull under the berth or the access under the mattress. the space underneath that has a similar access which can be accessed if small and daring. do not try this without strong assistance !! I am not small and was vertically upside down trying to see in there. use an inspection mirror...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your modern designed boat was made in steps.
First a mold was formed and the outside hull was layered up inside the mold. When done that hull was popped out. Sitting there on the concrete it had the loose wobbly shape of your boat but it lacked strength.
Step two the factory built an inner skeleton. This internal liner had form and strength.
The inner liner was set in the hull and attached “glued- sort of” together.

Naturally, while the skeleton fit neatly inside the hull there are areas “voids” not completely filled.

Most owners will ignore the voids unless there is a problem like a leak. Then they take the necessary action to fix the leak. If you hit something and spring a leak these voids are most often patched from outside the boat.

On the rare occasion you are forced to work on the inside then you cut out what you need to. Patch the outer hull then patch the inner liner.