Hunter 34 False Bildge - How can you tell if the modification was done?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Once you remove the false bottom and clean it up, what did everyone do next? Did anyone put some new glass down without the plywood. or is safe to leave as is and put a small screw in to the new bottom to keep your float switch secure. I am in the middle of cutting mine out and I am not sure I will ever forget the smell I could almost taste it. I am not even sure what to compare it too.
I left mine original, natural colored fiberglass. I kind of like the look. The hull thickness at that point is 1-3/8 in thick, so a 1/2 inch screw for my bilge pump (or float switch is fine). "Oh that smell. Can't you smell that smell?"

Jul 27, 2020
Hunter 34 Kingston
I left mine original, natural colored fiberglass. I kind of like the look. The hull thickness at that point is 1-3/8 in thick, so a 1/2 inch screw for my bilge pump (or float switch is fine). "Oh that smell. Can't you smell that smell?"
Thanks for the update.. I dont know if I will ever be able to forget that smell.. I now have to try and get the smell out of my cushions. Any ideas on how to do that.. I am actually thinking about just having them redone.. but the previous owner just had them redone about 5 years ago.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Lock them in a small space with an ozone machine and a fan for a few days. That should get the smell out.