Hunter 28.5 Where do the sinks drain to?

NCWilm

Apr 20, 2020
Hunter 1987 28.5 Little River, SC
Hello everyone. I'm a new owner and new to the forum. I've got a 1987 Hunter 28.5 which I purchased a few months ago. I'm just learning the systems. I found the water fill cap. That was well hidden under the anchor, thank you designers. But the current issue is my sinks in the bath and in the galley are backed up. Where do the sinks drain to? Do they drain to the same holding tank as the head or is there are a through hull with a sea cock? I know this is elementary, but you don't know until you know. Thank you in advance.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the site. Gonna take a wild guess here (as my boat's a little different) but the head sink and galley sink drains go to thru hulls which should be easy to find. I'm afraid you've probably bought a couple of plugged drain lines in the purchase. Probably time for new ones anyway if they're original.

You DID open the thru hulls didn't you :doh: ? ? ?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Follow the drain lines and find the thru-hull valves and open them.

You should map out ALL of the thruhulls, so you know exactly where they are, and how to close them.

Greg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Hunter has been very consistent that the head sink drains overboard through a thru-hull discharge port above the water line. Since the drain is above the water line the discharge port fixture is usually plastic and is not accompanied by a valve. This water is considered "gray water" and it is legal to dump overboard. Regarding the galley sink it usually discharges through a thru-hull valve and port under the waterline. This is also considered "gray water" but it is deemed to contain food particles so it is discharged bellow the water line to avoid staining the outer hull and the smell of decomposing food particles. As some may have noticed the galley sink drain may work slowly while the boat is not moving but will start draining much faster while the the boat is underway. This is because the water passing perpendicular to the opening has a sucking adhesion factor which will pull the discharge water out. As with any under the waterline thru-hulls it is important to frequently inspect the valves, hoses and clamps. The hoses should be double clamped in opposite orientations. I personally leave the thru-hull valve open 24/7 as I find that the discharge port stays cleaner and the sink readily available for use whitout having to fiddle with the valve.

NCWilm

Apr 20, 2020
Thank you to everyone for all of your suggestions. Armed with these tidbits I should be able to get this mess straightened out on my next trip to the boat. Thanks again, Steve

NCWilm

Apr 20, 2020
Thank you jmce1587 Those diagrams are much more clear than the ones I have had. That was very helpful. Steve