Hunter 260 Water System

May 9, 2021
Hunter 260 Payette Lake
I have a 2002 Hunter 260. Last season was my first sailing season of ownership. Unfortunately, I discovered a nasty water tank (black stuff coming out of the both the galley pump and head pump. During the winter, I had a deck port installed in the top of the tank to facilitate clean out (thanks to a suggestion in this forum). Before launching this season, I used my newly-installed access to thoroughly clean out the tank. After filling it, I briefly had a working system, with both pumps providing water. Now I cannot get water out of neither. Replacing both pumps did not improve the situation, but while replacing the system, I did find an old pump clogged with debris. Now I am thinking I have debris clogging the water line, perhaps it moved into the line prior to my cleaning out the tank. To test my hypothesis, I disconnected the supply hose at the galley pump and used a hand pump to try and pump air backwards through the system. I could not move any air through it. I am thinking that this “test” supports my theory of a clog in the line. If that is true, I would think my next step would be replacing lines from where they leave the tank, starting first with the line the leads from the bottom of the tank to the “T” valve that split the supply to the galley and head. I’d welcome thoughts, theories, advice and wise counsel.

I keep telling myself that this is a very rudimentary system, and it cannot be that hard! Help!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Consider trying to clear the line(s) with a small diameter plumber's auger BEFORE you replace the line(s), if there is room? Just did that to clear a blockage in two sanitation lines with a drill auger attachment after the toilets were replaced.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
If you have the manual pumps at the basins still - it could be an issue with the check valves as well - they can sometimes get stuck. you may also have a second check valve closer to the tank that could cause problems. i assume you opened the valve right at the base of the tank?
If your boat uses the original piping and fittings you can remove the pipe from the fittings easily. Push ring at outboard side of fitting in towards body of fitting and pull/twist gently on pipe to detach. (Close valve by tank first)

you should then be able to blow through the segments or use a 1/4” or 5/16 tube and push through the pipe.

This is video of how the fittings work.