Hunter 170...Anything to beware of?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
...any centerboard boat that is left on a mooring it can possibly blow over in a squall. These boat rely on human mass for righting moment.
I can think of some centerboard boats that do not conform to that assertion. I've seen a whole fleet of Mercury sloops sit on the ball through some very stiff nor'easter gales. Wiannos are such rock solid boats that they would probably shrug off most hurricanes with no trouble as long as they were tied up to a strong enough set of ground tackle. A few Tripp designs come to mind as well.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
I can think of some centerboard boats that do not conform to that assertion. I've seen a whole fleet of Mercury sloops sit on the ball through some very stiff nor'easter gales. Wiannos are such rock solid boats that they would probably shrug off most hurricanes with no trouble as long as they were tied up to a strong enough set of ground tackle. A few Tripp designs come to mind as well.
Nice find Jim, i googled the mercury sloop and found this.

IMG_20180705_193813.jpg

The 470lbs centerboard weighs as much as a 170.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI

View attachment 153298

Exactly. Just depends on how far you want to go to be Argumentative. It’s funny, I was agreeing with Jims point, and then he decides to argue It back against me. No pleasing some people.

Aug 22, 2017
Exactly. Just depends on how far you want to go to be Argumentative. It’s funny, I was agreeing with Jims point, and then he decides to argue It back against me. No pleasing some people.
????? I don't understand what statement of mine you were supporting. I don't see where my statements have been inconsistent. Perhaps I missed something?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017

View attachment 153298

The way that datasheet is written may be a bit misleading. I think that the whole centerboard version of that boat weighs 470#, not just the CB itself - http://sailboatdata.com/mobilesite/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3180

A fin keel version was also available. It was a bit heavier. The boats in the fleet I raced were all centerboard type.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
The canvas cover on the bow probably had about 30# of gear under it. A Group 27 battery was in a box mounted just forward of the stern.
Thats 80 lbs ballast in some good areas. When the 170 heels the cuddy cabin rises about 2 feet up and out away from center. The battery on the floor rises up as well if strapped. Once turtled though its a mess.

Aug 22, 2017
Yes, the group 27 battery is primarily for the trolling motor. I also power a depthfinder/chartplotter with it.

Apr 16, 2017
The way that datasheet is written may be a bit misleading. I think that the whole centerboard version of that boat weighs 470#, not just the CB itself - http://sailboatdata.com/mobilesite/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3180

A fin keel version was also available. It was a bit heavier. The boats in the fleet I raced were all centerboard type.
I clearly interpreted the data sheet incorrectly. The cb version is as tippy as the 170.

170 is looking better all the time

Aug 22, 2017
ooof, a swim in the Charles river...
I feel bad for anyone who got a mouthful of that water.