Hull dents

Dec 7, 2021
Hunter 30 Punta Gorda Isles
We bought the boat a year ago and during the survey, sea test and, haul out, our surveyor found a good size dent on hull, port side aft. He assured us it was not a problem and happened in production. Fast forward to last week. We hauled out and of course the dent became the talk of the boat yard. Long story short, the glass guy cut open the spot(cut starboard as well as it seemed sketchy) and it appears the damage was caused by the way the boat had been set on stands in a yard somewhere. My question is, do we have bulkheads created or just re-class the holes that were cut to assess any damage

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If there is a liner on the inside, not sure the bulkheads would do much good…unless you somehow got them down to the hull. And those spots like they are close to the bottom center of the hull…not normally where you put a jack Stand…

do you have any photos of the dent before they were cut out?

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I can't believe your boatyard thought cutting a 4 ft^2 hole in your boat made sense. I'm flabber gasted.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I can't believe your boatyard thought cutting a 4 ft^2 hole in your boat made sense. I'm flabber gasted.
Certainly seems extreme…would like to see some “before” photos.

Greg

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If it were me I don't think I would have cut hole into the hull, I would have ground down the area to fiberglass and then progressively layed in glass and resin, until I was fared out reasonably to the surrounding hull. That there is kinda like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That's a mess. 1) Boat stands should not have been put on the bottom of the boat. 2) Surveyor should have known that was caused by boat stands and not in production. 3) Boat yard should not have cut dents out. WTF? Is insurance involved? They should be.
How does the boat yard propose to repair those cut outs? I guess the fiberglass guy isn't concerned about the repair. That's a huge hole - 2 of them below the waterline in your hull. I really don't know if I would trust any fix. Sorry.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
That's a mess. 1) Boat stands should not have been put on the bottom of the boat. 2) Surveyor should have known that was caused by boat stands and not in production. 3) Boat yard should not have cut dents out. WTF? Is insurance involved? They should be.
How does the boat yard propose to repair those cut outs? I guess the fiberglass guy isn't concerned about the repair. That's a huge hole - 2 of them below the waterline in your hull. I really don't know if I would trust any fix. Sorry.
Agreed. The only way that this can be repaired now is by tapering the hull to 12:1 for the full depth and then creating a form on the inside that conforms to the hull shape and rebuilding outward. What a mess!:facepalm:

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Hey, it's the OP's first post. Lets try not to scare him away. I hope he follows up with some more information.

Was the original surveyor (or any surveyor) consulted before cutting the holes?
At this point I would think about consulting a bona fide expert about reconstruction rather than relying on any opinions from this or any other forum. Sorry guys, no offense intended.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Just brainstorming a different perspective - if that unsupported section of hull was badly deformed it’s possible it was cracked or deformed in such a way that it wouldn’t be trustworthy already. So maybe cutting it out wasn’t such a waste?

Before pictures would definitely be nice. Also grinding off the antifouling to get a better view of the laminate before cutting it all out probably would’ve been a good idea.

Going forward the repair will be further complicated by what looks like the hull liner preventing access on the inside. Here’s a video to give you some idea of what might be involved, but the size of that hole might make yours quite a bit more challenging -

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If you want to see how this can be done see @B757Captain he repaired holes in the hull after a huricane did a real fine job

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Exactly, they rounded the corners, no longer square. Why not cut rounded corners in the first place, I would. That way you don't have to make a larger hole.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Do you have any photos of the prep done to the opening before they glassed in the patch?
No.
But I know what they did.

Note the Yellow tape in my 2nd Photo above.
The FRP expert used 4 strips. That is his way of remembering the Layering he did.
1) His first layer used Coosa Board , then cure.
2) Next layer then cure.
3) Same thing
4) Longest and Thickest.

Why not cut rounded corners in the first place,
The first cut out was done from this damage picture and FRP expert did not know what was beneath the outer hull.
Similar to a surgeons cut with out X-Rays.

DamageOriginal.jpg

You may see the temporary patch screw holes in the corners and the foam SeaTow put on to seal it. But there were no leaks inside.

In my opinion , after the fact, we cut too large of a cut, but we did not know at that time.
Jim...

PS: You can follow my restoration here as what we are doing. It may be of interest to all on many items.
Repairing boat after Hurricane Zeta

PSS: Many more pictures there.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Sure, you might cut a square hole for expedience if you know you're going to be cutting a larger hole later. In the OP's case, they could see the deflection from the outside and knew its dimensions, so would've have been much more prudent to cut the hole assuming it would be the only one needed. The square hole guarantees you're cutting twice. Also, they over-ran the corner with the saw, not a sign of competence. I would assume the dent was oval/circular in shape, a square just doesn't make sense.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ok @dmax have it your way.:biggrin:

But check out my link for more pictures.

All i can say is I have the Best FRP repair guy within 50 miles of me and others agree with that.
Jim...

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Actually Jim, I have followed your postings, interesting and very nice work. I'm not disagreeing with what your guy did, I think the situations are different. When cutting fiberglass, my goal is to always cut the smallest hole possible.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I have the Best FRP repair guy within 50 miles of me …
I knew a guy who once said the Ford Pinto was the best car he ever had. Turned out it was the only car he ever had. It’s all frame of reference.
Square holes in fiberglass is the product of some clown who’s only tool is a circular saw.