How to transport extra fuel?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I tilt the jugs just so 99.9% of fuel is emptied out of my jugs and the shaky hose is best thing and been off shore in choppy weather and used the shaky hose with out any fuel spilling.
Nick

Attachments

Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI Victoria, British Columbia
I'm curious about this from another angle, and while it won't matter to the OP with only an extra 10gal, it's relevant to my own summer plans:

I have the C30 mk1 and take a trip most years out on the West Coast. A problem I have had with strapping extra fuel to the rail is that I notice a difference in how the boat rides through the water. Maybe I'm just imagining it...but I don't think so.
Our boats aren't all that heavy by design, and when I start adding weight to the rails (even amidships) it seems to affect it. I have started moving my 2 Jerry cans (40gal total) to the salon floor under the table. I wanted to get the weight as close to center and as low down as possible.
I just think that when the boat was originally designed, they didn't really plan for all this stuff that we now carry on them. Bigger diesels, 2 water tanks, a holding tank, more and heavier batteries. Some people throw a dinghy on the foredeck....most of us carry more chain and heavier anchors than they would have in the 80's, maybe we have an OB strapped to the stern rail, etc etc. The list goes on. I do everything I can to keep the weight low and centre. For long days where there will be a heavy swell running I even move the dinghy OB down under the table...

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Safety is the number one reason. If for some reason the fuel leaks into your bilge, you've got a massive odor problem, not to mention clean up. Just because it's diesel, you don't want to carry it in an enclosed space.

I carried four 5-gal jerry cans on deck when I brought my boat up from Ft. Lauderdale. They were in a custom holder made of starboard.

Jun 5, 2012
Yes OK, you're not wrong there... A leaking jerry can would be a huuuge PITA. But I'd be willing to bet many of our 25 - 35 year old main diesel tanks would be almost as likely to spring a leak as a good quality new plastic jerry can. Plus, almost every boat I've been on has extra outboard fuel in some sort of a locker, many of which would drain into a bilge. And gasoline fumes are far more volatile than diesel.
It's tough when you have limited real estate and a lighter boat.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
But I'd be willing to bet many of our 25 - 35 year old main diesel tanks would be almost as likely to spring a leak as a good quality new plastic jerry can
Good point, but I went from a 15-gal tank to a 27-gal tank about 4 years ago, so mine is relatively new.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
If you guys have any photos I would love to see them

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I use the shake siphon but also replaced all my jerry can spouts with old school spouts that can still be bought on Amazon.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
We do 2-3 week cruising trips every year here in SW Fl. and always take extra water jugs Diesel jugs and extra outboard gas strapped on my deck and no way I would carry any kind of fuel in a locker or down below.
Once had a gas can on back stern leak into a locker and traveled down into the bilge and the odor was so bad my wife wanted to end the trip and go home,she could not sleep and it took a week to get the odor to stop.
Your boat do what you think is OK but I don't know anyone that carries fuel in a locker or even worst down in the Cabin,I am sorry but that is crazy.
Nick

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
For changing fuel filter I use a gallon plastic gas container so I can add diesel to the racor filter to top it off before running the engine. If I store it below (usually) I put it in a plastic storage bin with the oil absorb mats. That's my way of double containment. If the red container is an issue, paint it yellow. Never seen a one gallon diesel container. I have seen leaky containers on deck. Some boaters cover their plastic cans to keep the UV degrading down. You would think diesel getting cooked every day in the hot sun on deck wouldn't be that good in the engine.

All U Get

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
For changing fuel filter I use a gallon plastic gas container so I can add diesel to the racor filter to top it off before running the engine.
I find it much easier to use injector cleaner. Comes in its own bottle! If you have an electric fuel pump, you don't even need to fill the new filter, just wait longer...

Feb 11, 2017
Rival 32 Traverse City, MI
Has anyone ever seen a 2.5 gallon yellow square/rectangular diesel container for sale? I have a good place to store up to four fuel containers of that size but haven't been able to find yellow ones. I currently use red plastic 2.5 gallon containers with a big label that they contain diesel. I've had marinas refuse to fill them with diesel because they are not yellow. Toyed with painting them yellow -- a better reminder than a label but don't know if that would be good enough for the marinas since the containers say "gasoline" on the sides.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A problem I have had with strapping extra fuel to the rail is that I notice a difference in how the boat rides through the water.
Wait until you take a breaking wave on your quarter and those fuel cans become a load on your stanchions. If you really really need to carry extra fuel, consider a bladder secured by padeyes centered on deck where ever the load best fits, here's a 25gal, there are all kinds of sizes and shapes. You gravity drain them to your regular tank and stow them away:

Jun 5, 2012
Yeah Gunni! I love that idea. One of those on deck, amidships. It would still be weight up high, but at least you could get it in the centre.
I just wasn't sure how many people actually use those fuel bladders. Seems like I'm always reading about people who had them stowed in a locker or such and they ended up leaking.
I had also thought about that extra load on the stanchions if you took water on the deck. More of an issue for those of us with smaller boats.

....I just Googled those tanks....DAMN, they are expensive!!! Guess that could also be why we don't see many of them.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Gunni makes a good point, do you really need 25-27 gallons for a week in the Channel Islands ? Isn't that enough to motor for about 50 hours ?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
....I just Googled those tanks....DAMN, they are expensive!!! Guess that could also be why we don't see many of them.
You don't see many of them because coastal cruisers don't have much use for extra fuel tanks, they manage their trip itinerary to hit the necessary fuel docks...and pick their sail plan carefully.