Securing Fuel Container

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2010
oday daysailor Buffalo
Any suggestions on the best way to secure a 5 gal. plastic fuel container to a forward stantion would be appreciated. Any mistakes doing this??? (appreciated even more!) Thanks in advance.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
Forward on a Stantion would be a bad place in general

I keep my can in the cockpit locker with straps that were installed to hold it in place safe and DRY

Even and outboard tank "should" have a strap on the cockpit floor or were ever its stored as it can really move around on a sailboat

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
In my opinion, storing a 5 gallon container of fuel in a locker is a very dangerous idea. As to securing on deck, we use a piece of line and tie it down so it does not move. Get it as far aft as possible since the motion closer to the bow is greater and the container will try to move around more. We have carried containers on deck while cruising for thousands of miles and in all conditions. Chuck

Oct 11, 2009
Lazyjack Schooner Fairhope, AL
One possibility is to take a 2x4 or similar board long enough to span the distance between two of your stanchions. Use u-bolts to attach the board to the stantions. Then strap or lash the jerry can to the board, inboard of the rail. This system is used on a number of cruising sailboats.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
We secured our fender boards to lifeline stanchions as strong points to lash gas, diesel, and water jugs on previous boats. Will again if schedule permits extended cruising.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
A good lashing with 1/8 nylon braided line will hold a tank to a stern stanchion.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I'd second using a board between two stanchions. :) Then lashing the jerry can to the board. I'd also point out that the jerry can should probably have a cover to protect it from UV.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Folding padeyes placed in areas where deck cargo needs to be stowed allow great security and flexibility. Most boats don't have enough hard points on deck for my liking.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I understand strapping a fuel tank (gasoline) on deck. I carry a small 1/2 gallon for our 2HP outboard. I have to assume BillyC13 is storing gas, but if your storing diesel, why can't you secure it in a locker?

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
Having spent allmost forever crusing and outboard J24 the 5 gallon plastic gas cans do NOT do well in the sun

I dont know this boat BUT even on a J24 there is ample room to stow and secure a fuel container in the locker were its stays at a MUCH better temp and goes through far less stress

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
If you're going to store gas in a locker, make SURE the locker "drains" outside, and there is no access to the cabin. You don't want gas fumes migrating into the cabin. Basically the same concern as a propane locker. And as others have said, there's a LOT of expansion in the sun, so if it's full, there's gonna either be fuel leaking out the vent, or a LOT of pressure inside!

Gas is a scary thing to be carrying on a small sailboat.
druid - likes diesel, and electric motor for the dinghy.

Oct 6, 2007
Catalina 387 Panama City, FL
Rick has a very nice system.
I used a 2" X 6" board rather than a 2" x 4", for more surface against the jug and used "bungee" cords instead of straps. Whatever you do, do NOT tie all of the jugs together, tie them indivudually. Walk a few marinas and see what other have done.

Bill

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
Nice set up Rick! I like it, even the covers. I 'll bet that you realized the dark covers weren't the best idea after you had them on for a while. Either way, it looks like it works great.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.