How to re-attach Mast Step to Mast?

Apr 14, 2016
Oday Javelin Lake Monroe
It's partly my fault for not having the stay wires tight enough...but the mast on my 79 O'day Javelin fell over the other week after one of the stays broke. We had it buoyed on the lake, and there is really too much boat traffic for our little vessel. The mast is OK (thank-goodness!). There is a small tear at one of the rivet to the mast step. The mast completely broke off the mast step. I'm trying to figure out the best way to reattach it. Would this be a good job to have someone weld it back on? Or would I be fine to get a rivet gun and reattach it myself (assuming that the torn mast piece would be able to bend back into place)? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've included some pictures.
IMG_2861.JPG IMG_2862.JPG IMG_2871.JPG

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Best thing to do for that is to cut off the mast base just above the tear. Looks like about 1/2". Very carefully measure existing hole position from mast base plug to match new holes in AL mast extrusion, re-rivet. Probably would use SS rivets with Tef-Gel or Lanocote to prevent galvanic corrosion. Then, re-attach bottom plate of mast step with a 1/2" spacer block. Either hardwood like teak, or probably Starboard or G-10 board. G-10 would be my preference, as Starboard will deform under pressure. You can source from McMaster-Carr. 6x6x1/2 G10 is pricy at $35, but that's not terribly expensive all things considered. On the other hand, you MIGHT be able to take up the 1/2" with with standing rigging, but it depends if you can suck up 1/2" at both shrouds and forestay. It all depends. Adding a spacer block under the step on the boat gives you the opportunity to re-bed the fasteners. I don't know Javelin construction, but my old Harpoon was lag bolted into plywood core, which has gotten wet and punky requiring a re-build.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Unfortunately, the JAVELIN maststep is below deck, not hard to get to on the 1970 or older models, but not as easy to get at fr the 1971 and later models. Your idea is sound, but that would raise the whole lower part of the mast that 1/2" leaving the mast hinge 1/2" higher above deck than it was before. Come to think of it....... probably not a problem really! I wouldn't worry about it.

Attachments

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Now that I see the Javelin setup, basically a hinged mast section with the Dwyer hinge in the middle of the mast, I see how adding a spacer block wouldn't work, because it would have to go down at the base of the mast. So, Sunbird, are you suggesting that whacking 1/2" off the mast can be accommodated by existing rigging and tensioning devices? That's good info for Eric!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You could try to straighten the "ear" part by slowly bending back to where it should be.. then when (not if) it breaks off, take the mast and the piece to a machine/welding shop and get the ear heli-arc'ed back on.. then grind the inside of the weld smooth so it will go back over the base insert..

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I would first take the mast and any bent or broken parts to a metal fabricator. They can give you good advice as well as effect repairs. It won't cost much.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Now that I see the Javelin setup, basically a hinged mast section with the Dwyer hinge in the middle of the mast, I see how adding a spacer block wouldn't work, because it would have to go down at the base of the mast. So, Sunbird, are you suggesting that whacking 1/2" off the mast can be accommodated by existing rigging and tensioning devices? That's good info for Eric!
No, I was thinking that in the long run, adding a 1/2" block under the mast step, thus raising the hinge 1/2" higher above the deck probably wouldn't be a real problem. It is possible(?) that the turnbuckles would be able to accommodate 1/2" more tightening to compensate for the missing 1/2" of mast height (the rigging on my DS II at the moment would be able to), but without trying it, I couldn't be sure enough to recommend it. It might be worth a try........ the block under the mast-step could always be added later if needed.

Nov 5, 2013
oday javelin trailer
I have a Javelin 14 and tore the lower section of the hinge off from the lower section of the mast that goes down to the keel step.Took wrong pin out of hinge when lowering mast. Luckily it only tore the rivets thru the lower mast section in line leaving slots, so I would have had to drill thru the mast and into the inner support collar in different locations to re-rivet. Instead I removed the short mast piece and turned it around to provide a clean untorn section to rivet to the lower hinge. In my case no length change was involved. For Eric my advice is the damaged section should be removed (as Brian S suggested) (easy with hacksaw no welding etc. required) otherwise its only when it would fail as kloudie1 said if you don't do a weld repair (too much work) So the simplest way to raise the mast (if there is not enough stay adjustment) is not to add a block beneath the keel collar but rather replace the lower mast section with one longer by the amount you cut off from the bottom of the upper section.This should be available by the foot from Dwyer the manufacturer. If its a DM1 its $10.60 a foot. Then proceed with re-riveting as Brian S detailed. All within the skills of most any handyperson.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Dr Mel (?) that sounds like a really good solution! What's the lower section, like 3' maximum? That's not an expensive fix, only roughly $40 shipped?