How to detach the centerboard chest cover on a '77 Widgeon?

Apr 10, 2017
O'Day Widgeon Tampa
Any know how to remove the centerboard chest cover on a '77 Widgeon? I removed the mainsail fair lead/cleat mount thinking there'd be something underneath but there's nothing.

The centerboard line cleat needs to be repaired and I'd like to do the repairs without leaning over the gunwale the whole time.

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
That cap doesn't come off, well...not easily anyway. It is bonded with thickened resin as far as I know, I never tried to remove the one on my old Widgeon, but it really isn't meant for removal. MAYBE, use of a heat-gun might soften the bond, but I suspect it would do more harm than good. You could call Rudy Nickerson at D&R Marine, (508) 644-3001 to ask about how O'DAY attached the cap, but he may tell you that it can't be removed. Rudy was the Parts Dept. Manager at O'DAY from 1973 to 1989 and runs a great shop supplying replacement parts for our boats.

I sat in the cockpit of my DS II to fix the CB cleat, don't know it that would work on a Widgeon...... on my Widgeon I could remove the wooden seats and had lots of room, that worked on a 1969, can't be done with the molded in seats of a 1977.

Attachments

Apr 10, 2017
O'Day Widgeon Tampa
Sunbird, I'm getting ready to re-install the CB line cleat, and eye strap. I am also going to install a fair lead to guide the CB line per the diagram in the owner's manual. Do you know a recommended method for screwing these parts onto the CB chest? There isn't enough room to use nuts on the inside of the CB chest top. Worst case is stainless plate with tapped holes that match the hardware patterns but that seems a lot.

Photos below are (a) the CB trunk repairs needed and (b) our boat and my son before our initial shakedown cruise.

Thanks.

Attachments

Apr 10, 2017
O'Day Widgeon Tampa
I had a great call with Rudy this morning. He said just to tap the holes in the fiberglass and that would be enough. I may still opt for 1/16" stainless plates with tapped holes. In any event, thanks for the recommendation on D&R Marine.

Jun 2, 2004
What Rudy told you is exactly what I was about to say........... He gave m the same advice if I ever wanted to attach jib-sheet cleats to my CB trunk on the DS II.

May 27, 2020
O'Day Widgeon 12 Havre de Grace, MD
I recently was gifted a '77 Widgeon and have to reattach the CB line. Was hoping the cap could be removed but apparently not.
Thinking i have to remove the pivot bolt and drop the whole CB to reattach the line. Thoughts, anyone??
Any help is appreciated.

Jun 2, 2004
The Centerboard cap is bonded to the top of the Cb trunk/case and is decrative (In a way) if you were to remove it (destroying it and the top of the cb trunk in the process) you will find that it covers the molded top of the trunk, in other words........ won't allow access to the CB anyway. Removing the pivot bolt and then dropping CB out is best and only way to access the CB and control lines. Might need to remove boat from trailer for access, but not a real tough job! I just did this on my 1979 DS II a couple of weeks ago. Here are a couple of drawings/diagrams/pictures from my Expanded Owners Manual that may help. One thing to watch out for, the CB actually pivots on a plastic bushing, not the bolt. That bushing is slightly longer than the CB is thick to allow it to stick out a bit on both sides of the CB so that when you tighten the pivot bolt, you are clamping the sides of the CB trunk against the bushing, not the CB, which allows the CB to freely pivot.

Attachments