How do you fold a sail on the boat :(

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The simplest solutions are often the best. thanks for the transport tip folks. tomorrow I'll pick up some duck cloth and sew up a condom for it. Less wrinkles in the sail cloth, less grit and grime, yet it's even way less hassle than folding. I love it!
P1030543.JPG

It could be rolled up with the battens installed, but the sail cloth and battens will be much happier with at least the top two removed (4 batten Doyle sail) due to the angle that they install in the sail.
As to future reefing this way, it might be better to remove the bottom batten to reduce sail wear in the pocket, but even for the second reef point the first batten is the only one affected.
Thanks again all,
RussC

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Russ,
Have you considered rolling it up from the head to the foot, rather than rolling it around the boom? Once it's rolled you tie it to the boom with two or three sail ties.

I would be leery of rolling the sail around the boom if there are any blocks or hardware on the boom that might chafe the cloth.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Russ,
Have you considered rolling it up from the head to the foot, rather than rolling it around the boom? Once it's rolled you tie it to the boom with two or three sail ties.

I would be leery of rolling the sail around the boom if there are any blocks or hardware on the boom that might chafe the cloth.
Thanks Judy. I would be leery or rolling it on the boom over blocks and other hardware as well, which is why mine is still bare. I even removed three snaps that had been screwed into the bottom of the boom (for a cover?). If I'm not happy with a boom roller reefing system and am forced, kicking and screaming ;) , to go with the slab system, then I'd also reconsider rolling the sail on the boom for transport.
BTW: didn't you once work for Pacific Airwaves sail loft way back when (geeze, have they really been gone for 20+ years now)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Russ

Just curious but why don't you like slab reefing? Not being critical... just like getting different perspectives...

For instance I'm not a big fan of roller furled head sails... and I know I'm in the minority there...

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Russ

Just curious but why don't you like slab reefing? Not being critical... just like getting different perspectives...

For instance I'm not a big fan of roller furled head sails... and I know I'm in the minority there...
It's not that I don't like slab reefing. not at all. Although I did feel it was kinda messy and crude with the excess waded up on the boom. I duno… I guess I just like to try different things rather than following the crowd "because that's the way it's always been done."
I'm also not a big fan of headsail roller furling. never owned one, but I am a big fan of the "simple = trouble free" theory. ;)

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I know it's been pointed out already, but boom roller furling usually sucks.

The first biggest reason, is that it gives horrible sail shape. Think about how the "cross section" of the sail is with regards to camber. Now, roll that up, and you'll find that there's a horrible baggy part around the boom. Some people carry towels, I've even heard of stuffing a PFD in there, in an attempt to suck up the volume and create a smoother roll. There is a similar problem with roller furling headsails, which is why foam strips are often added in to the luff of the headsail...

The other big issue with boom roller furling is that that once the sail is rolled up, you can't have a typical vang. You have to resort to all kinds of tricks to try and attach a vang, such as a vang hook that loops over the rolled sail and boom. But then it can slip forward, so then you might have a rigid rod that goes forward to the mast. Some people have tried a long strip of fabric that gets rolled up with the sail as you furl, with a tab hanging out where you attach the vang. Now, I know some people sail without a vang, but being as my boat doesn't have a traveler, I use my vang quite a lot to control sail twist (vang sheeting.)

Finally, all these considerations lead to a more fiddly reefing system in order to try and get the sail to set well. Me, I'm quite happy with slab reefing, because it gets the job done quickly and with more control. For example, one can let off the leech reef line a little bit, to allow the foot of the reefed main to have more camber. I know that you might be thinking a tight reef foot is desirable due to depowering, but then you have little power to push through waves. So, having some camber is good, considering you have already depowered by reducing sail area, and lowered the head for less heeling moment.

All things to consider...

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Thanks Judy. I would be leery or rolling it on the boom over blocks and other hardware as well, which is why mine is still bare. I even removed three snaps that had been screwed into the bottom of the boom (for a cover?). If I'm not happy with a boom roller reefing system and am forced, kicking and screaming ;) , to go with the slab system, then I'd also reconsider rolling the sail on the boom for transport.
BTW: didn't you once work for Pacific Airwaves sail loft way back when (geeze, have they really been gone for 20+ years now)
Hi Russ,

You must be thinking of somebody else. ;) I never worked with or for Pacific Airwaves. Aren't they the hanglider folks?

... and, I really love slab reefing. I sail on San Francisco Bay, and we shake reefs in and out all season long in 25 to 35+ knots of wind. A well thought-through two-line reefing system is absolutely the fastest, easiest, most fool-proof, most reliable system there is for boats under 50 or 60 feet LOA, if you care about sail shape. I can put in a reef in under two minutes without leaving the cockpit. Easy Peasy.

Judy B
Sailmaker

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Hi Russ,

You must be thinking of somebody else. ;) I never worked with or for Pacific Airwaves. Aren't they the hanglider folks?
Why yes… yes I believe they were, now that you mention it. ;)

RussC
formally aka: Southern Oregon Hang Gliding

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
And the sail bag has been constructed:
P1030546.JPG
Just a simple sock design with velcro closure on one end. Made from duck cloth