How do you fold a sail on the boat :(

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I don't guess there really is a good answer to this, but I'm still curious just how the other trailer sailers pack up the sails in preparation for going back on the trailer. When we had old sails we'd just fold them up on the tarmac up the ramp, but not inclined to do that with the new ones. So far we just stuff them down below and wait until we get home to carefully fold them on the living room floor. new, stiff, sails are a bit more of a challenge, but boy do they sail nice.

Thanks,
Russ-Jennifer

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Does the Mac 25 have the boom that rolls like the Mac 22? I used to roll my mac 22 sail on the boom and then put the entire sail and boom in the cabin. That way I kept the sail crease free.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
It sounds as if there are two of you, so send one of yourselves forward with the tack, leaving the clew with the other person on top of the un-popped pop-top/side deck.
Yes, the head might fall overboard while you're working the folds, so you might keep an eye on that possibility.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
If Boom does not roll, just fold on Boom like you were leaving boat in water under a sail cover. Wrap a couple of bungee cords when done. I then disconnect from mast with topping lift still attached and swing into cabin, then disconnect topping lift. Easily done single handed. Reverse procedure to attach. That is what I did on my Sirius 21.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
or do it the way it is/was done on ocean cruisers before everyone had reefing furlers on their on their boat and had to change sails.... just flake it down the best you can, tie a couple bungies around it, and stuff it in the bag....

a race boat should never do it this way because the wrinkles in the sail could slow the boat down in the same way a hand full of hull blisters do;)...

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Yes the M25 did come with a boom furler "system", but it was horrible and I never used it. I might try using it just to stow the sail for transport however. thanks for reminding me that I even had that. ;) . Jib is hank on.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
;) . Jib is hank on.
As you lower the jib, Flake it along one side of the foredeck, then fold it to front towards the bow to fit in your sailbag. Do it in such a way that the head tack and clew end up on to when you open the sailbag.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
which is the same as stuffing it in the bag:biggrin:... after using bungie balls around it, I flake ours down in the bag in a z pattern, so it comes out without needing to be unrolled....

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
What about battens. Is it best to remove the battens when storing the mainsail or can they be left in?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
battens (4) MUST come out in ours to avoid damage and get the sail packed down to a reasonable size.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yes the M25 did come with a boom furler "system", but it was horrible and I never used it. I might try using it just to stow the sail for transport however. thanks for reminding me that I even had that. ;) . Jib is hank on.
Yeah do that.... leave the topping lift on ... roll it all up, put one sail tie around and slide it into the cabin.

Regarding the crappy roller system... I found that it was nearly impossible to reef the sail using that system ... but it was very easy to let sail out. So, if the wind was strong as I was leaving the dock, I'd use the rolled up main on the boom to shorten sail, then I could easily let it out if the wind died down, but if I needed to shorten sail once I was out on the water, I slab reefed. I kind of thought of it as a one way reef system. But I always stored my sail on the boom.

Do you have a down haul for the jib? That is also a great (and inexpensive) add on.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Yeah do that.... leave the topping lift on ... roll it all up, put one sail tie around and slide it into the cabin.

Regarding the crappy roller system... I found that it was nearly impossible to reef the sail using that system ... but it was very easy to let sail out. So, if the wind was strong as I was leaving the dock, I'd use the rolled up main on the boom to shorten sail, then I could easily let it out if the wind died down, but if I needed to shorten sail once I was out on the water, I slab reefed. I kind of thought of it as a one way reef system. But I always stored my sail on the boom.

Do you have a down haul for the jib? That is also a great (and inexpensive) add on.
I'm still working on a decent main reefing system. haven't found the perfect solution yet however. I always thought installing a winch handle in the end of the boom might make an almost usable system ;) .
I'll be trying the idea of rolling up the sail on the boom for travel next time out however. good idea! :biggrin:
I did setup a downhaul on the jib and yes, it does help a lot when it gets cranky.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Flake or roll the mainsail and tie it to the boom. Put a mainsail cover over it. Disconnect the gooseneck from the mast. Stow the boom/sail/cover in the cabin or tow vehicle. Then drop the mast, etc.

For a hank on genoa, keep the hanks on the forestay. Pull the clew of the genoa aft with a sheet. Neatly flake the sail. Leave the sheets attached to the clew, but remove them from the sheet blocks. Coil and crown the sheets. Loosely roll the sail up starting at the clew, with the sheets tucked inside the roll, and roll towards the bow. When you get to the bow, use a sail tie or two to secure the sail. Remove the hanks from the forestay.

Next time you rig the boat, put the rolled up genoa on the bow, nestled inside the pulpit. Attach the tack of the sail to the bow. Clip the hanks onto the forestay. Attach the halyard to the head of the sail. Pull the sheets out from the middle of the roll. Uncoil the sheets. Use the sheets to tie the rolled jib inside the pulpit, using a slip knot. Run the sheets aft to the genoa sheet blocks. When you want to hoist the genoa, head to windward, pull on the leeward sheet to release the slip knot, and pull the clew aft on the side deck. then hoist the halyard and away you go. (Obviously this method of hoisting the jib works only if you have a bow pulpit)

Judy B
Sailmaker.
Hyde Sails Direct

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Flake or roll the mainsail and tie it to the boom. Put a mainsail cover over it. Disconnect the gooseneck from the mast. Stow the boom/sail/cover in the cabin or tow vehicle. Then drop the mast, etc.

For a hank on jib, keep the hanks on the forestay. Pull the clew of the genoa aft with a sheet. Neatly flake the sail. Leave the sheets attached to the clew, but remove them from the sheet blocks. Coil and crown the sheets. Loosely roll the sail up starting at the clew, with the sheets tucked inside the roll, and roll towards the bow. When you get to the bow, use a sail tie or two to secure the sail. Remove the hands from the forestay.

Next time you rig the boat, put the rolled up genoa on the bow, nestled inside the pulpit. Attach the tack of the sail to the bow. Clip the hanks onto the forestay. Attach the halyard to the head of the sail. Pull the sheets out from the middle of the roll. Uncoil the sheets. Use the sheets to tie the rolled jib inside the pulpit, using a slip knot. Run the sheets aft to the genoa sheet blocks. When you want to hoist the genoa, head to windward, pull on the leeward sheet to release the slip knot, and pull the clew aft on the side deck. then hoist the halyard and away you go. (Obviously this method of hoisting the jib works only if you have a bow pulpit)

Judy B
Sailmaker.
Hyde Sails Direct
Good stuff Judy. Thank you! I'll have to try that with the Jib next time out. sounds interesting.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Beat me to it.

Honestly, I often (usually?) get lazy, and forego the cover when stowing in the cabin. The sail has never been harmed, but I sure do find ways to put dings in the companionway trim. :(