How do you break in an outboard on a sailboat?

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Well, that certainly answers the question about who owns the boat, Dave. But to refresh everyone's memory, here is the original question: "How do you break in an outboard on a Mac26s if you do not want to go beyond hull speed given that they want me to run wide open for hours and hours (all day)? "
The general consensus has been that the poster has misunderstood the break in procedure stated in the owner's manual. Pretty much that simple.
Probably none of us ever met someone who got a new outboard.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yes it is. We bought a new Suzuki 2.5 for the dink last year, ran it for an hour in the bucket, and then followed the instructions in the manual, changing the oil and leg oil as requested. Not that difficult and not something that requires all kinds of input from the ol interweb. Read the manual, and follow it.
meriachee.wordpress.com/2020/07/12/dinky-dinky-doo/
Same here. Bought the 2.5 for the dink, but ran it in a large trash can for subscribed period of time and RPMs as recommended by Suzuki. Over the years, have broken in a few new outboards (115hp) and simply followed manufacturer's recommendations. There are no shortcuts; just follow the manufacturer's prescribed break in protocol.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
  1. Calculate gallons per hour at wide open throttle
  2. Fill up just enough to run for required number of hours
  3. Motor out to open water
  4. Tie tiller off to one side
  5. Start engine and increase to WOT
  6. Hop off of boat in dinghy
  7. Come back just as motor is running out of gas

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What if an unattended boat with motor running gets loose and hits another boat, person, etc as to what DNR, Coast Guard would think and do with that owner. Unwise advice leaving a boat with outboard running

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
What if an unattended boat with motor running gets loose and hits another boat, person, etc as to what DNR, Coast Guard would think and do with that owner. Unwise advice leaving a boat with outboard running
Wow, I only took Project_Mayhem's post as a jest. I can't imagine anyone taking it seriously. But then we all know what PT Barnum was often quoted as saying....

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a dealer, I saw too much and heard too much. Sadly I saw a John boat at a marina unattended with motor running the boat. It nicked a 10 year old’s foot but luckily the child only suffered 12-15 stitches. I will speak up when something is unsafe. Suggest you volunteer on a EMS boat for a weekend

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Crazy Dave.

I agree with your speaking up when something is unsafe. Not trying to second guess or denigrate you for your comments.

My point was that the suggestion in the post was so unsafe as to be ludicrous and I couldn't believe someone would actually consider doing that. I took it as a joke.

No offense to you intended and I hope none taken.

I'll reduce my confidence in peoples' ability to think rationally.

All my best.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
  1. Calculate gallons per hour at wide open throttle
  2. Fill up just enough to run for required number of hours
  3. Motor out to open water
  4. Tie tiller off to one side
  5. Start engine and increase to WOT
  6. Hop off of boat in dinghy
  7. Come back just as motor is running out of gas
Sounds like a Christmas present I got one year. It was a RC Jim Hall Chaparral car with one of those glow plug fuel engines. RC was a stretch though. You put a nail in the driveway, tied a string to it and to the car, started the engine and let it rip. That thing was fast! Never gave a thought back then as to what would happen if the string broke.:biggrin:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There was a show on PBS where the flannel-wearing host would dream up things like that. Can't remember the show's name.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Sounds like a Christmas present I got one year. It was a RC Jim Hall Chaparral car with one of those glow plug fuel engines. RC was a stretch though. You put a nail in the driveway, tied a string to it and to the car, started the engine and let it rip. That thing was fast! Never gave a thought back then as to what would happen if the string broke.:biggrin:
Even the electric ones with a foam bumper hurt when they hit your feet! Lots of fun though. When I was a kid we used to put tape bottle rockets to the edge of a CD, put a nail in the tree and watch them spin around

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
From Yamaha. No WOT required.

New four-stroke boat motors have a lot of similarities to car engines ,however they do have a few differences as well. The biggest difference between a car and boat motor is the break-in process, as most cars are turn-key and ready to go.

Since boat engines are designed to run at constant RPMs and are put under intense loads, it is very important to properly break in your motor. It is a very simple process that anyone can really do and we recommend that everyone with a new boat follow this break-in procedure that Yamaha recommends.

The first hour you want to keep the boat under 2,000 RPMs. So really all you are doing is driving the boat around and keeping the motors under 2,000 RPMs for an hour.

After the first hour you bring the speed up and keep the boat under 3,000 RPMs. This speed will be just about on plane, and you DO NOT want to be full throttle.

For the next 8 hours of run time run the boat at varying speeds and avoid running the boat at wide open throttle for more than 5 minutes. After 10 hours run your boat at normal operational speed.

Once you have had your boat and have ran it for 20 hours ,it is time to bring your boat in for a service. This service ONLY happens at the first 20 hours and is designed to drain out all the fluids from the initial break-in, as many internal parts of the motor are moving against one another for the first time, and you want to have all your fluids clean. After this service it is standard to have your motor service either annual or every 100 hours, whichever comes first.

If you have any further questions about the break in of a Yamaha Outboard please contact us and we will get back to you shortly.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I think the most interesting thing about this post is that there were 56 responses. Oh, wait. Make that 57.

Dec 30, 2020
com pac eclipse sunset, louisiana
Just bought a mercury 6 hp. Manual said first hour half throttle
Varying RPM. Second hour two thirds throttle varying RPM with full
Throttle one minute every ten minutes. Oh so far I have 30 minutes
In a garbage can full of water.