How do you break in an outboard on a sailboat?

Jul 29, 2016
mac 26/19 wolftever
as a boat mechanic, I would run it under load. nothing like to be free rev'd, that's hard on things. Run in low rpm under load, let it cool, repeat. then run it like you would on your boat. Vary rpm, vary load...

That being said, 97% of customers never open a manual, or remove the cowl. Brand new boat wide open out of the no wake. I am yet to see a Honda fail from it.

I would hate to guess how many times I've explained proper break in then watched the customer take out their new boat and run it wot all the way home.

Honda builds a hell of good product, even when mistreated.
Thanks, mine ships today I opted for the honda so don't keep the old one as a spare, and for
8hp over 9.9hp because of the lower RPMs.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
But I think that we (the royal we) missed the question in spite of my focused language. Are sailboat outboards ever really broken in? Any tips and tricks…
I may be missing something in your question but shouldn't you just follow the directions from Honda as in post #10 above?
Seems pretty straight forward and suggests only very limited WOT periods.

Jul 29, 2016
mac 26/19 wolftever
I had a very similar life. Dad was Army. I was born in Heidelberg. Have been back but my aunt's Opel wouldn't do those speeds!
Mom's AMC Ambassador was rated at 90 mph tops but she got 110-120mph out of it. It was probably
because you don't get carbon build-up when you run it wot.

Jul 29, 2016
mac 26/19 wolftever
I may be missing something in your question but shouldn't you just follow the directions from Honda as in post #10 above?
Seems pretty straightforward and suggests only very limited WOT periods.
The question was if I can do that on the Mac without spinning the RPMs. Maybe you’re a bad influence on me I end up ordering the 8hp rather than the 9.9hp because the RPMs are 5000 wot rather than the 6000 on the 9.9hp, and since it’s the same engine otherwise it may make for a better and longer life.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
FWIW. I had a 9.9 Merc on my 26S. It came with a 5HP. The admiral wanted more power!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The question was if I can do that on the Mac without spinning the RPMs.
Personally I’m having some trouble understanding what you are saying. :)

This is an example. “Spinning” is “RPM” and even then doesn’t have much to do with what boat the motor is mounted on??????

Jul 29, 2016
mac 26/19 wolftever
Personally I’m having some trouble understanding what you are saying. :)

This is an example. “Spinning” is “RPM” and even then doesn’t have much to do with what boat the motor is mounted on??????
If I may provide you with a basis for understanding. It started with a question, not an answer. If I mounded this engine on an aircraft carrier you would have nothing but spin so now it has everything to do with the boat. The lower RPMs and lower HP, in this case, it is similar to avoiding tire spin. Slow it down to improve performance.

Jul 29, 2016
mac 26/19 wolftever
Its all moot. A 26c will only plane on the trailer, and the Honda wont have anything to do with that!
I love my 26s and love that she can camp at Walmart and on the lake and I love that she has no mods. I'm told that she's fast but it will take years for me to find out.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me. I'll have more questions such as should I also take my old 80/90 Nissan 8hp 2 stroke (the blue one) with me on outings and where to keep it on the Mac26s

Ed
1990 Mac 26s Jersey Thursday

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I love my 26s and love that she can camp at Walmart and on the lake and I love that she has no mods. I'm told that she's fast but it will take years for me to find out.
we used to do that in ours, way back when, but never in Waldorfmart. This year was the plan in the 270, but we all know how that thought ended.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I might know a few 12 year-olds, and one 12 years old at heart, that will be disappointed that he didn’t get to run a boat with an extra 5 gallons of gas.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thank you all for taking the time to help me. I'll have more questions such as should I also take my old 80/90 Nissan 8hp 2 stroke (the blue one) with me on outings and where to keep it on the Mac26s
Ed
You want to keep a backup outboard on your Mac? That is probably overkill

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Ed
You want to keep a backup outboard on your Mac? That is probably overkil

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Never heard of break -in procedures that required running the engine at full throttle for hours on end. On the contrary most require that you avoid running at full throttle other than short bursts. I have also never heard that the break-in procedure has to be completed in one day. I would operate the engine at idle or low throttle until it warms up to operating temperature and then run at mid range RPMs for the first few hours. In the next outing I would again warm up the engine and then run at a higher range of RPM and introduce short bursts of throttle to WOT and back. During this phase the idea is to avoid a constant speed and introduce speed changes at different time intervals. I would avoid running at full throttle until the break -in period is complete and a change of oil is done. I do not like the idea of using a trash can as the loads in a can will vary considerably with those imparted by the boat in the water. It is best to subject the engine to the loads as it is intended to be used for the parts to start wearing down evenly in line with the normal loads it will experience in its useful life. I have always broken -in engines during my normal course of using the boat. I doubt very much I would ever do it in one day, but if it takes a week or even a month I would be OK. have had engines that lasted a long time and other somewhat less but have never attributed a break down to a bad break-in.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
This whole tread is confusing.
Yes it is. We bought a new Suzuki 2.5 for the dink last year, ran it for an hour in the bucket, and then followed the instructions in the manual, changing the oil and leg oil as requested. Not that difficult and not something that requires all kinds of input from the ol interweb. Read the manual, and follow it.
meriachee.wordpress.com/2020/07/12/dinky-dinky-doo/

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I think what the orignial question was how fast to go with others on board. First you own the boat, Second use your head and follow the break in for the engine. Third, disregard what others tell you as you own the boat, not them as you are the owner and skipper. take charge and be safe having a good time

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I think what the orignial question was how fast to go with others on board. First you own the boat, Second use your head and follow the break in for the engine. Third, disregard what others tell you as you own the boat, not them as you are the owner and skipper. take charge and be safe having a good time
Well, that certainly answers the question about who owns the boat, Dave. But to refresh everyone's memory, here is the original question: "How do you break in an outboard on a Mac26s if you do not want to go beyond hull speed given that they want me to run wide open for hours and hours (all day)? "
The general consensus has been that the poster has misunderstood the break in procedure stated in the owner's manual. Pretty much that simple.