how are these rudder bearings serviced?

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Gimli Manitoba
Something in the rudder of my 1983 Hunter 34 squeals whenever I turn the wheel. The steering effort seems heavier than other boats. It isn't getting worse quickly but has been there for 5+ years.
There is little motion when I try to wiggle the rudder (1/16") from belowlower bearing.jpg top bearing.jpg .
I'm guessing it's the bearings. So, how do I service them? What do they look like when they are properly setup?
The boat is in heated hanger for the winter.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Are you sure its the rudder? I have grease fittings in my steering pedestal. One low and one high.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Gimli Manitoba
There are no grease fittings anywhere in the steering system. None visible on those two bearings. I've had the cables, chain, pulleys & bushings in the pedestal apart & lubed

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Marc, Hunter used plastic upper and lower bearings on most all their model boats and require no servicing. See the following article regarding our model boat, which likely is how yours was built. A good way to inspect your steering system is to have a crew turn the wheel stop to stop several times while the skipper inspects every component.

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=6617&mn=42

Oct 27, 2012
Hunter / Pearson H19 & 1987 Pearson 31-2 Tarpon Springs
I had a similar issue on mine, so I replaced it with a sintered bronze bushing that I was able to get from Grainger. You will need precise measurements for the inside and outside diameters and the length (they can be cut to length with a slow, oil lubricated bandsaw). They never need lubrication (so they say). I also put a seal on the bottom and top of the post. I used the same thing on my swing keel, and it made a huge difference, no more shuddering keel.

I do not have photos or specifics as this was several vessels ago, but I can assure you that it is much better than the plastic bushings from Hunter

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
UHMW plastic is very durable and strong. Our 1991 boat still has its original UHMW bearings after cruising several thousands of miles. They remain within tolerance. If at some point they need replacing I will go with UHMW replacement bearings. Whether bronze results in a better solution, I'll defer to others on that matter.