Holding tank for '81 S2 9.2C

Sep 24, 2012
S2 9.2C Merritt Island
Has anyone replaced the bladder and hand pump in their S2? At initial inspection, it seems pretty straightforward, but unsure what size holding tank to install, placement of macerator, etc. Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Has anyone replaced the bladder and hand pump in their S2? At initial inspection, it seems pretty straightforward, but unsure what size holding tank to install, placement of macerator, etc. Any input appreciated. Thanks!
it all depends on your useage i would think....i have put a 20 gallon tank in my 9.2 A.....not much space to do it......i havent been on a 9.2 C so i cant tell you about that.....i am putting the pump in another space under the settee....

regards

woody

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
In reality, I will never be in a location where I can discharge overboard, so I may actually simplify my system. I only ever pump out and the pump out stations are vacuum driven so I don't even need use the pump. The contents of the tank are easily removed as the solids, including the dissolving paper, easily removed by the vacuum. My pump is under the middle of the port settee, as that is where the thru-hull is also, and the through hull kind of makes it wasted space otherwise.

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
My 9.2A's tank is in the same location as Woody's. I used the existing opening and could only fit a 10 gallon tank (the boat came with a FULL 5 gallon tank that had no pump out provision!). I find that the ten gallon tank fills so quickly that I avoid using the head. I'm going to try a composting toilet and will report back on that. If I were to keep the existing, conventional set up, I'd go Woody's route and squeeze in a 20 gallon tank. I can tell you, my finish work wouldn't look anything like his, though!

John

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
My 9.2A's tank is in the same location as Woody's. I used the existing opening and could only fit a 10 gallon tank (the boat came with a FULL 5 gallon tank that had no pump out provision!). I find that the ten gallon tank fills so quickly that I avoid using the head. I'm going to try a composting toilet and will report back on that. If I were to keep the existing, conventional set up, I'd go Woody's route and squeeze in a 20 gallon tank. I can tell you, my finish work wouldn't look anything like his, though!

John
thank ya John for the kind words.....

i have a couple of friends in Fair hope that live aboard full time there 35 footer and have a 25 gallon holding tank and they only pump out once a week ....so i hope that 20 gallons will be OK for me.....only time will tell....

regards

woody

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I can attest that...

Twelve gallons won't last four days with company aboard. That is why, given the fact that I will never pump overboard, a bigger tank is more useful than a macerator I won't use.

Sep 24, 2012
S2 9.2C Merritt Island
Thank you for your comments. Although the boat is in great shape for it's age, it's a work-in-progress. First priority is to get the fresh water system in shape. When I bought the boat, no water after the galley. Turns out that the feed to the head, shower and water heater has a huge leak. Of course it's inaccessible - runs underneath the deck and under the engine. I'm either going to re-route it, or use a PEX 3/8" line through the 5/8" original. Thanks, again!

Sep 24, 2012
S2 9.2C Merritt Island
BTW - Bob M - Used to live up in MA and belonged to the Winthrop Yacht Club in the 90's before moving to FL. Had a 20' Grady White, then a 34' Silverton, which I relocated to Falmouth, then to FL. Great memories in Winthrop. My in-laws had a home overlooking the "hahbah." Woody - great pics!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Winthrop

BTW - Bob M - Used to live up in MA and belonged to the Winthrop Yacht Club in the 90's before moving to FL. Had a 20' Grady White, then a 34' Silverton, which I relocated to Falmouth, then to FL. Great memories in Winthrop. My in-laws had a home overlooking the "hahbah." Woody - great pics!
Can't be the view of the city at the price! WYC hasn't changed much I'm sure...expanded the kitchen and the menu a bit....added another set of docks...plus the town built some docks and started charging $5 to use the ramp.

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
Interested in any info about composting head install. Just ordered a natures head today, cannot wait to tear into this retro-fit. Taking holding tank out, never even sailed this boat yet, just real sick of holding tank problems and also the continuous battle with the original head we have been witness to on other boats. Wonder if a guy couldn't put another water tank in holding tank area, plumb it to astern shower, or possible tie it into the tub water supply. That would keep wife smiling. Composting head positioning critical? Any info helpful. Thanks,Bob

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Do a search

http://forums.s2.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=154666&highlight=composting+head

I found a few threads, but the above one was informative. As I have posted before, if I ever get to working on my head...and the PO made some lousy connections, one of which is leaking badly so it may be sooner rather than later...I will simplify it to just a holding tank. I will pass the macerator onto the next owner in case he/she wishes to reinstall it, but to be frank all the extra plumbing likely just makes for extra stink. Given that the boat hasn't left the Northeast and there really isn't a legal area to discharge in that the boat is likely to enter it makes far more sense to ditch that stuff and then install a slightly larger holding tank. The 12 gallons I have now goes fast.

I have also thought about a hybrid system, rigid tube with flexible hose for coupling it and to supply the required flexibility. However that would be trading some potential permeability for more leaks. From what I see aboard my boat, there may be a trade off between hard to fit and seal thick top grade impermeable hoses...as I said the PO obviously had a very tough time fitting and sealing them (teflon tape was used extensively in odd places)...and something a bit more flexible that would be easy to change out more frequently.

A composting head is in interesting idea, but last time I looked into it as I recall, it seemed to create a different set of problems. I don't have a problem with pumping out as long as the Harbor Master doesn't block the pump out area. Would have been a novel concept if they put it in a location with more than 5 feet of depth at low tide too. They do have a mobile pump out boat, but they are less than eager to use it most days.

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
Bob,I agree about the low water @pump-out station. Seen that a few times, or it isn't working at all. Real handy. Thought quite a bit which direction we wanted to go with head issue. Re-build was. Headset,gasket kit about $75 or so, newer about $200 range. Still have plumbing issues and did need to replace lines to tank. 30 year old lines seemed prudent. I wanted off board discharge for when we get else where, so added expense again. And that issue opens another can of worms with C.G. on fresh water lakes here. Seemed composting system would be easiest long term solution,and gain more storage as holding tank is under aft (our) berth. Really think another fresh water tank installed for transom shower and plumb also to tub for the Capt. Going to boat(250 miles away) tomorrow to install new alcohol stove and measure other items for install when it warms some. Will see how all pans out. Thank you. Bob

Jan 14, 2014
S2 8.0 pultneyville
Bob,I agree about the low water @pump-out station. Seen that a few times, or it isn't working at all. Real handy. Thought quite a bit which direction we wanted to go with head issue. Re-build was. Headset,gasket kit about $75 or so, newer about $200 range. Still have plumbing issues and did need to replace lines to tank. 30 year old lines seemed prudent. I wanted off board discharge for when we get else where, so added expense again. And that issue opens another can of worms with C.G. on fresh water lakes here. Seemed composting system would be easiest long term solution,and gain more storage as holding tank is under aft (our) berth. Really think another fresh water tank installed for transom shower and plumb also to tub for the Capt. Going to boat(250 miles away) tomorrow to install new alcohol stove and measure other items for install when it warms some. Will see how all pans out. Thank you. Bob
Would love any info on new head. Our boat was owned by an 80yr old women who took great care of it but had trouble with the pumpout and replaced the head with a portipotti. The deck fittings are still there but she also removed the holding tank. Ive seen the soft tanks but dont know how much trouble they are? This will be a priority as i sail from the S shore of Lake Ontario and can not cross with a portipotti. There are a couple across the lake and back races in the Rochester area and a fixed head is listed as the first requirement.
Thanks
Bob G aka pultsail1

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Best resource for new head install

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53615/Get Rid of Boat Odors

What I said about a simplified head design likely applies. I doubt you can discharge into one of the Great Lakes (checked...you can't). Therefore the best system you can have from my perspective is the biggest tank with the fewest number of connections. Peggy makes some great recommendations on which to buy, how to install and how to eliminate odors.

Trace

May 16, 2013
S2 9.2C Hernando Beach, Fl.
Re: Best resource for new head install

I recently removed the original head, sanitation hoses and holding tank on my 9.2C, haven't replaced them yet although I have decided what I am going to replace them with. My old tank was a 20 gal with a sheared off vent fitting that the previous owner repair with 5200.

Our boat is still on the hard and will install all new plumbing once she's back home at the dock.

Am thinking that when I reinstall the new head (going with a Raritan PHII) I will install it at an angle facing towards the door. Has anyone installed this way? I think it would be easier to use angled as far as headroom goes.

Trace

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
I also am thinking about the angled approach to mounting head. The stirator wheel will be only issue,but since it can be mounted either side, not big issue. The NH composter seems very adaptable as far as mounting. Since it is still sitting in spare(boat) room, really hard to say how it will be mounted. All I can say so far is longer bowl than original head(I believe jabsco) for the obvious reasons. Angle mount will allow top to be tipped back for all needed maintenance. I, so far, am very happy with my choice. But as stated, still in the box.

Jan 27, 2014
S2 9.2C Kemah
My 2 cents.

Whenever I have the opportunity to eliminate below waterline thru hulls, I take the opportunity. I was planning to do that to an Alberg 30 I had, but after coming up with a plan and a budget, I sold the boat and found my current S2 9.2C. I had planned to take out the head and not have one as long as I was on the lake where it was located. I live near Houston and was planning on taking the Alberg to Galveston bay - at which time I would have put in a porta pottie. I've spent parts of several summers making the run between Galveston and Corpus Christi, both in the ditch and in the Gulf. Those runs, and the purpose for them, also contributed in my decision to part ways with the Alberg. My plans were, if using it for those runs along the coast (basically staying at marinas each night), to install a composting head.

The S2 I picked up, has a head that is basically a permanently installed porta potie with a larger holding tank - maybe 6-10 gals with a pump out line. Water from the water tank is used to flush it, so no smelly sea water issues. The set up works fine for the use the boat gets, but it still irks me about the cost of pumping it out. When I finally start using it for what I plan, I will be replacing the current head with a composting head which will allow be to re-design the head - maybe. Since I don't have a holding tank, where is the normal location for the tank in a C version?

Trace

May 16, 2013
S2 9.2C Hernando Beach, Fl.
The holding tank is in the back cabin under the birth. Factory holding tank is 20 gals.

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
Anyone interested in a 21 gal. Holding tank from a 9.2 cc? I replaced the Raritan system and have the tank and head for sale. The tank is marked as 21 gal and dated 1994 if memory serves. It is aluminum and does not leak or not dented. Head works as far as I know. Never used, but did have rv anti-freeze in it and did not leak either.

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
I put a new ten gallon holding tank in my 9.2A (it came, compliments of the PO, with a full, well-seasoned six gallon tank that had no pump out capability!), filled it in a couple weekends of only my using it (frugally, I thought), and went in search of a composting head. I've had my C-Head in use about six months. I've not yet had anyone ELSE use it (my wife just avoids the head at any cost, but she'll come around eventually), but I think it's great. All sorts of storage gained from the removal of the tank and hoses. Much less complexity. Two thru-hulls plugged. The boat has NO odor issues. Have seen nary a fruit fly. And, best of all, I no longer have to hightail it to the marina's facilities if the need arises while I'm working (or napping) on the boat at the slip. The only con I can come up with is that the opening beneath the seat is not as wide as a normal toilet, so it feels a bit odd when you sit on it, but a small price to pay. No electrics, no water wasted, nothing to clog, no joker valve to replace, no expensive hose to permeate, no pump outs, no odor. One of the biggest improvements I've made to my boat. http://www.c-head.com/

John