Hey, you Nanooks from the north... What is your launch date?

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
Re: Hey, you Nanooks from the north... What is your launch d

The boat yard in Waukegan, IL (Lake Michigan) was awash in activity this weekend. It's funny how we go from snow on the ground to a 60* day in just 2 weeks and now it feels like everybody's behind the 8-ball on getting our boats in.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
What kind of paint?

A beautiful day! I've got paint in my hair, I had to throw out some clothes, and I'm going to be very stiff tomorrow. But I'm in better spirits than I've been in several months. It's on!
Me too, Andrew ... but you've got hair?!?!? I'm envious! The paint lands on skin in my case. And it's not boat paint but latex interior paint. Somehow, I got sucked into a closet re-modeling (Martha Stewart from Home Depot) when I should be preparing for the season now that the ice is finally out and we can go outside in short sleeves.

(The vortex that Sue creates when she starts a home improvement project always has a way of sucking me to the center of it). :cussing::cussing:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am on Lake Michigan (near Chicago) and finally got Tally Ho in her slip. Was up the mast yesterday to mount some blocks for a new Mack Pack.

Cold and windy, but can't wait to try out the new Mack Pack!

Greg

Attachments

geehaw

May 15, 2010
O-day 25 shoal keel Valdez
Re: Hey, you Nanooks from the north... What is your launch d

Still snow around my boat but if I waited for that to go away I wouldn't get in till June. Hope to put in 2nd week in May. But going to Florida for sailing certs. for 10 days next week so might not have everything ready. Did already add solar panel, charge controller, other wiring upgrades. Fixed steps that broke last sail of the season last year. New light for compass and I must sat say Richie compass customer service was outstanding. Did a lot of work on the outboard. Fixed fish finder and GPS mounting so I don't have to kneel to see them. Just have to get your butt out there in the cold and do it.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Finished the prep work last weekend for new portlites - openings resized, plywood cabin top core voids filled and epoxy sealed, old sealant removed, etc. Next weekend the shrink wrap comes off and the new portlites go in. Then I can start with normal spring cleaning and launch prep. Launch day is May 13. Lake Michigan is, of course, still ice cold.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Pulled off my winter cover today. Still only in the mid 50s today.

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
Cover is off the boat, even though there is snow in the forecast. Cleaned the cabin, flushed the water tank, a few things left to do but marina opens May 15th so that's when the boat goes in! Then every weekend (and a few weeks mixed in) after that we are sailing til October. Sweet! :dance:

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Finished the prep work last weekend for new portlites - openings resized, plywood cabin top core voids filled and epoxy sealed, old sealant removed, etc. Next weekend the shrink wrap comes off and the new portlites go in. Then I can start with normal spring cleaning and launch prep. Launch day is May 13. Lake Michigan is, of course, still ice cold.
Update: Kept the shrink wrap on this weekend to work through the cold, wind and rain. All nine new portlites are in and 4 of 9 trim rings on. Working on the deck under the shrink wrap was awkward, but at least I was able to work, and with my little space heater going, it was pretty comfortable.