Hey, you Nanooks from the north... What is your launch date?

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
Re: Hey, you Nanooks from the north... What is your launch d

In Chicago you could put a boat in now...but there'd be no slip available because the marinas are still closed. 1 April is pretty much THE first day to get in anywhere.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Although our lake doesn't freeze, we still can get some cold weather. We finally got a slip at our club Sunday. Easter weekend is looking great to us!

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
They call them a "Clipper System"

This season looks like April Fools. Another clipper system came thru tonight so this was my greeting at Lee's Park Marina on my way home from work today. This isn't Maine or Minnesota .... this is freaking New Jersey! (ok, we're in northern Jersey) I've never seen ice like this on the eve of April 1 in these parts.

Attachments

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Because I got a horribly late start last year, kept her in over the winter with the full intent to sail on that random 60 degree January day....which never happened! So....if the forecasted temp stays the same and the rain holds off, I'm stretching her legs on Friday...or Tuesday if that fails! Unfortunately sails are in for maintenance so it'll be a motor trip, but beggars can't be choosy! I hate NJ! I did enjoy the first beer of the season on Monday, though! Here's to a great summer ahead!

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
Is May 1 feasible?

So this is where we stand on April 1. I'm beginning to question May 1. This era of global warming is new territory for me!

I like the way the Park Commission discourages fishing from the pier by piling snow at the entrance.

Anybody care to predict a date for the 1st sail? I'll be glad to host a first sail and party to honor anybody who guesses correctly and cares to experience Lake Hopatcong. Hopefully, with crew, we can try out my new spinnaker.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This season looks like April Fools. Another clipper system came thru tonight so this was my greeting at Lee's Park Marina on my way home from work today. This isn't Maine or Minnesota .... this is freaking New Jersey! (ok, we're in northern Jersey) I've never seen ice like this on the eve of April 1 in these parts.
Meanwhile in Minnesota. Its 81F (76 at the lake) with a 18 knot solid breeze gusting to 40. Any remaining ice on Minnetonka will be gone tomorrow.

Apr 27, 2014
Catalina 30 1986 MkI Newington Nh
Re: They call them a "Clipper System"

The marina just started to put out docks yesterday. I shoveled a path to the boat and set up my baker staging. Will start working on my "to do list" Friday. Hope to be on the mooring by may 1st

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Meanwhile in Minnesota. Its 81F (76 at the lake)...
When I went through Minneapolis airport Feb 22nd, outbound on an ill fated ski trip, it was minus 8. Now that's some global warming...
LOL Andrew that's a classic grab!

Except for the 10 frigid days around your layover, we have had a very mild winter. Little snow, mild temps, and with the exception of a light freak snow a week ago, we have been +10 to 30F above normal temps for the the last 45 days. Lake Minnetonka will be ice-free a MONTH earlier than last year. Spring!

Clay

Oct 26, 2008
Lake Minnetonka

When I went through Minneapolis airport Feb 22nd, outbound on an ill fated ski trip, it was minus 8. Now that's some global warming...
I was on a business trip 4 years ago with 3 other compadres, all native to NJ or Philly. We were in Spring Park, which is along a shoreline on Lake Minnetonka for 3 days and nights at the end of January. These guys said they never experienced a place as cold as that. We drove our SUV out on the lake to check out the ice fishing villages, complete with street signs and numbered shanties.

I thought it was great ... eating walleye washed down with Leinenkugel beer for lunch and dinner. We went to Lord Fletchers Lodge on a Tuesday night and the place was absolutely rocking! There was a rink for broomball right outside the bar and the place was packed with teams playing in the broomball league. The culture couldn't have been any more foreign to these guys (deez guyz). They were completely amazed by broomball. Needless to say, I've never laughed so hard on a business trip.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Anybody care to predict a date for the 1st sail? I'll be glad to host a first sail and party to honor anybody who guesses correctly and cares to experience Lake Hopatcong. Hopefully, with crew, we can try out my new spinnaker.
Shooting for the weekend if the winds allow me to rig the boat. I took off on Tuesday so maybe Tuesday!

Joe A

Feb 4, 2008
Macgregor 26S Lake Wallenpaupack / EastCoast
I have a lake house at Lake Wallenpaupack in PA. The power company owns both the lake and the shoreline so the front lot owners have to abide by strict rules. Today is the day (April 1st) that we are allowed to put our docks and other "encumbrances" back in the water. The first photo is right now and the second is what is should look like. I would expect that I'll go back in around May 1st this year.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al

well if that is you in the pic ...you do a really good job of impersonating billy bob thornton lol

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
OK, you wise guys in the South. Let's talk about a REAL winter storage season!
Not too long ago (see below)....~ 3 ft of snow and temps not higher than 30'F for about 2 months this year.

If we can get our boats ready anytime soon, it'll be a miracle.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish

Understandably fuses are a bit short up here. Today was a big plus. I worked all day painting my boat's bottom and a few other projects. A beautiful day! I've got paint in my hair, I had to throw out some clothes, and I'm going to be very stiff tomorrow. But I'm in better spirits than I've been in several months. It's on!