Hey, you Nanooks from the north... What is your launch date?

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Guess you winter folks get that extreme excitement of the countdown to launch date. I bet marine stores up north are booming with business right now with everyone's last minute projects.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Re: Hey, you Nanooks from the north... What is your launch d

What projects? Temps are still sub-freezing and there is still snow around the boat, so I'm not taking the cover off yet. The ice is about 12" min according to the ice-fishermen this past weekend. We had another small snow storm on Friday. This winter isn't over yet. I'll be ready for about May 1st, I believe.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
What projects? Temps are still sub-freezing and there is still snow around the boat, so I'm not taking the cover off yet. The ice is about 12" min according to the ice-fishermen this past weekend. We had another small snow storm on Friday. This winter isn't over yet. I'll be ready for about May 1st, I believe.

+1

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Guess you winter folks get that extreme excitement of the countdown to launch date. I bet marine stores up north are booming with business right now with everyone's last minute projects.
I seem to be the only idiot in my Club that completely lost his patience with winter!!! I am doing little projects, INSIDE the cabin with a heater on full blast. With any luck, I can finish more than one or two little projects this week before my fingers freeze. We normally launch boats on or about Tax day. But, this year I fear my fellow boaters will have to wait until a week or two later.

I DECIDED TO STAY IN THE WATER THIS YEAR. SO, I MAY BE OUT SAILING BEFORE THE OTHER BOATS ARE LAUNCHED. (wishful thinking??)

Mar 23, 2015
Cal 3-30 Bayfield

In Bayfield, WI, they are talking around April 23, 2015.

Oct 1, 2011
Canadian Sailcraft 36T PCYC Toronto
Can't wait!!! Our club is completely iced over still, will probably delay launch by a few weeks which was same situation as last season.
Spring launch is slated for mid April.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon

I'm scheduled for May 15, hopefully there will actually be open water by then. Muskegon Lake is still iced over, but the ice getting pretty thin and no longer safe to walk on. High was about 33 deg today, 15 deg below average.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia

Y'all have some loooooong brutal winters. 60 days out, I would be getting giddy and getting together my spring project materials. I lived for three years in Spokane Washington. High plains and freaking cold eight to nine months a year. 60 days out it was time to start prepping for spring fishing.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada

Last minute ????? Haven't even begun to consider pulling the tarp .... ;)

With one of the coldest if not THE coldest winter on record, the big Lakes are still mostly an ice cube, so even if the tarps come off, the water will be freezing cold for another month or so..... :eek::eek:

Great Lakes are still at 54% ice covered, with most of Georgian Bay still ice bound.

Apr 27, 2014
Catalina 30 1986 MkI Newington Nh

Looks like I can start inside work by the end of the week! Still snow on the ground but not near as much as 2 weeks ago. I will have shovel a path to the boat, I should be in by May 1st.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon

Last Fall I took some projects home to work on over winter, but it's been so cold in my basement I haven't even got that stuff done yet.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO

Here in Colorado we missed the worst, ice has been gone since early March. We actually had a thaw in lat Jan and went Ice free then it got cold again and everything iced back over for the last half of Feb..

Docks go in the water Sat., yes March 28th. Its supposed to be 80^. So instead of skiing or golf, I'll be up at the lake.

We can launch anytime after April 1st. I'll probably be in the water sometime mid April depending upon the home honey do list and work schedule.

Fair Winds,

Victor

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I had a great time sailing this past Saturday in a 1957 Flying Scot. Hull #2. Beautiful morning for sailing. Boat looked brand new.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had a great time sailing this past Saturday in a 1957 Flying Scot. Hull #2. Beautiful morning for sailing. Boat looked brand new.
I'm green with envy (Missed that on the last thread.)

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi

I'm heading up to Bayfield, WI this weekend to have a look around the boatyard, probably climb up into the boat to start tinkering. I always get itchy for sailing season about two months prior to launch which is when I migrate back to this forum. I check in on occasion, but this helps me with my affliction/addiction.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina

8" of snow on Saturday, more predicted for tonight. No signs yet.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I feel for guys. My club had it's first race of the spring season last weekend.
I've already mowed my yard once.

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 Vancouver
In Vancouver BC, got my outboard back on the boat yesterday after winter overhaul. Tarp comes off this weekend for inaugural motor out, with some sail repair still to complete putting first sail 4th.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL

Now you've done it Recess! Poked fun at the less fortunate and most certainly provoked the weather gods for your weekend trip! At least you did not mention we have been mid 80's for several weeks!