Heating options for very cold locations (i.e. Alaska)

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
I have a J/30 in (Seward) Alaska. To the extent possible, I am looking to replace a Webasto heater with something 1) much quieter, and 2) much hotter.

Though operating as intended, the Webasto is so loud that no one can sleep. It never cycles down, even in summer. It is installed in the starboard lazarette with a single duct blowing from that lazarette straight forward into the cabin via the starboard quarterberth. I really enjoyed the silence or sound of flame from a Dickinson Newport on my old Catalina in California. So much so that I installed a day tank just so I wouldn't have to listen to a fuel pump.

The Webasto also doesn't not heat up this small boat when it's below 50F. There is plenty of hot air coming out the of the duct. Outdoor recreation (backcountry skiing, for example), requires it to get WARM in the cabin (75+F) to dry stuff out and fend off chills after returning to the boat. Just keeping the cabin above above freezing doesn't cut it.

I am considering another Dickinson mounted aft of the center cabin bulkhead with one of the Dickinson's Radex fanned heat exchangers mounted on the other side of the bulkhead. I suppose it would have to be a Lofoten for maximum heat radiation. There is already a 5" chimney hole in the deck from some previous heater. My dad has an Espar on his OceanSport 30 and it does seem much quieter. He also does not use that boat with outside temps much below 55F. Forced air is certainly nicer when you want to warm a chilled and moist body up fast. Forced air is also much much simpler and safer that a combustion stove. But I don't see a pathway into the forepeak for forced air ducting, and they never seem to get very quiet. Some Dickinson plus a Radex on the bulkhead is the only way I've found to heat a forepeak.

Does anyone have experience heating at colder temps, say 10-30F? Any comments on my heater choice? I've never owned a boat in the winter and am also curious if I just need to forget the winter idea and focus on quiet summer heating...

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Have you looked at a hydronic system? This is basically a small boiler in addition to heating the cabin it can heat water.

Also consider adding insulation to the boat.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
To move hot air from one room to another I use 4" 12v computer fans, no noise and very little power usage.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I installed an Espar S3D5E hydronic heater in my C30 and did a Halloween cruise with the temps in the low 40's very comfortably. I am still tuning up the system and need some more powerful fans because the boiler is cycling on and off on the lowest setting but the fans need to run almost constantly when the outside temp is at 32º. I Like it because it gives me domestic hot water and very comfortable heat. When I first installed it it was loud but after adding a muffler the burner is almost silent and all I hear is the computer case fans or water pump when the fans are off. Here is a short video of the burner at startup which is max burn and max noise.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I sleep comfortably on my boat in Everett when the temps hit the teens. I have a Wallas 40DT Diesel Heater. It forced air so you feel the air moving in the boat. You adjust the speed of the fans. I do not hear the heater itself running.

It is stingy on electrical and fuel usage. I am happy with it’s service.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
My brother has a J/30 in Juneau, but it doesn't seem to get so cold there. We met a singlehanded sailor in Crosshaven, Ireland who liked his diesel heater a lot: HUGE heat output. The balsa core throughout the J/30 should help insulate it a bit. It sounds like your heater may not be big enough for the space you're trying to keep warm though. What size is it?

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
My brother has a J/30 in Juneau, but it doesn't seem to get so cold there. We met a singlehanded sailor in Crosshaven, Ireland who liked his diesel heater a lot: HUGE heat output. The balsa core throughout the J/30 should help insulate it a bit. It sounds like your heater may not be big enough for the space you're trying to keep warm though. What size is it?
I have the Webasto 2000 ST: Air Top 2000 ST - Webasto.comwww.webasto.com › SPC_-_909477_AT2000ST_EN

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
I would expect the 7000 btu output of that heater to be too little for the size of boat you have and your location. If you can determine the approximate cubic footage of your boat and the coldest temperature you expect there are sites that can help you determine the number of btu’s you would likely need. As a guess I would think your cubic area is around 27’x9’x6’ or approx 1500cuft. Looks like it rarely gets below -15°c. So temp rise will be in the order of 37°c and I would consider a boat to be poorly insulated/sealed.
from this site:

it looks like you need in the order of 9600btus of heat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The 40DT shows these specs
Voltage: 12v
Fuel: Diesel
Heat Output: 1000w - 4000w
Power Consumption: 0.8 - 1.8 amps
Fuel Consumption: 0.1 - 0.3 l/h

The Viking or 30GB UNIT shows these specs.
A4A0D72A-B9AE-4F17-B565-0D1C194C56CB.jpg

Having a bit more than just needed is good when your talking about heat in winter.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Most boats up that way are into diesel stoves. Warms the boat very inexpensively and they are great stoves.
Only problem is that if you intend to sail south to the tropics, you will need to change it out for propane.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Ditto the Wallas 40D forced air furnace. Different model boat here, but a 30D might work better for your size boat. Have done several winter cruises with the temps dipping into the low 30s and upper 20s. Quiet, efficient and produces lots of heat. Normally run the thermostat no more than setting three with six being maximum. Very pleased with its performance.

Installed the system myself in 2006. Pretty easy to install once you cut the three inch duct routes. I also purchased the duct insulation jackets to make sure the maximum heat reached the registers. Did this in 2006. Wrote a project article here: Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Last edited: