Head hose sealing problem

Feb 7, 2016
J-Boat J22 Chandlers Landing
Replaced head and all hoses. Hoses are 1 1/2 inch New Shields Sanitation hose with flat interior. Had to heat up with hot water to get over some fittings. Used stainless clamps. Most connections leak.. What am I doing wrong?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
  • Maybe nothing you are doing wrong. I have found very often seepage for the first couple of weeks until the hose takes a set. Give it some time and go back to snug up the clamps. May be just fine.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
When I replaced my hoses 10 years ago there were special sized cuffs that the hose slipped over then clamped. These cuffs could then be glued with PVC cement onto standard PVC connectors into the tank. Did you use these cuffs? My connections never leaked.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If you bought the common Jabsco toilet you will find that the outlet fitting is undersized. That fitting has, however, a raised edge on the end of the fitting that must be exactly under one of the hose clamps to get a seal. If I owned Jabsco I would correct the fitting size. Also, many diverter valves, particularly the expensive ones with swivels, will leak if you apply lateral force to the hose near the valve. I hate plumbing.

Sep 9, 2017
Catalina 30 Vancouver
You are doing nothing wrong .if your clamps are tight ,you have a blockage or the vent is plugged for your holding tank .there is no reason for fluid to push out the fittings and joints. there is definitely a discharge flow problem there somewhere.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Could be one of the things mentioned above, and/or, ..... maybe something to do with taking the old hoses off.

If a utility knife was used to slit and cut the old hose off, and it cut through one of the fitting barbs, that would create a thin cut where product (i.e., liquid) could leak through.

Just a thought.

Sep 9, 2017
Catalina 30 Vancouver
No not at all. the damage would be coverd up by the hose. I repair Marine sanitation systems all day long. if it is being forced out the joints there is a blockage or air venting problem 99% of the time. does it do this discharging strictly to the holding tank, or also to overboard discharge if it has that option. I know in the states it does not. but in Canada here we can go overboard as well. you may want to try disconnecting the discharge hose at the holding tank connection ,and see if it drains into a bucket okay. if it does ,you know you're holding tank vent is plugged

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If you bought the common Jabsco toilet you will find that the outlet fitting is undersized.
Welllll...maybe. For years, Jabsco was the only toilet mfr who used a 1" discharge fitting. That was ok when toilets could discharge overboard, but when holding tanks became necessary that became a problem because the the inlet fitting on all holding tanks--and the discharge on every other toilet--is 1.5". So Jabsco was finally forced to come up with a toilet discharge fitting that can use either 1" or 1.5" hose. Today, it can be either. And it sounds like you've put 1.5" hose onto a 1" fitting.

But--before I can tell you how to solve the problem, we both need a little more information: remove the hoses from the leaking connection and measure both the INSIDE diameter of the hose and the OUTSIDE diameter of the hose connectors. That will tell me what you're up against and what you need to do to solve the problem.

Sep 9, 2017
Catalina 30 Vancouver
Help Peggy. that's right. jabsco still uses a 1in discharge on their basic toilets ,and I'm sure still on the quiet flush models. (even though jabsco quiet flush is noisy)lol. if he was trying to put a 1.5 inch hose onto a 1in fitting, the clamp would not tighten down enough to keep it in place even, too much of a gap. Jhon do you see a reduction fitting in the hose anywhere from the toilet to the tank? or is it a 1 inch hose to the tank with a 1-inch fitting on the tank?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'm curious ,did you tighten your clamps with a screwdriver or a ratchet socket?
You have a point...hand tight isn't enough. But neither is just a single clamp...tightening it can cause the hose to pucker...and leak. Which is why all hose connections should be double clamped, with the screws 180 degrees apart....or at least 90 if you can't get access to 180.