head faucet change on the 40.5

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Hey fellow sailors...

Time to replace the faucets in both heads on my 40.5. I know what hardware to get but wondering if anyone has a good tip for accessing the faucets, seems to be very tight space behind the bowls....

Thanks much
Frederick

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Hey fellow sailors...

Time to replace the faucets in both heads on my 40.5. I know what hardware to get but wondering if anyone has a good tip for accessing the faucets, seems to be very tight space behind the bowls....

Thanks much
Frederick
I was going to do that many years ago until I carefully examined the construction of these Grohe faucets. They are heavily chromed over solid brass. Certainly, a replacement is not likely to be of the same quality IMHO. Instead, I ordered new ceramic cartridges. Ten years ago and doing great! Not a drip.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
I removed the bowl. Clear acces then. Is well worth the extra work. Still had to cut off the old installation as everything was rusted solid.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
I ended up removing the whole countertop on my H340. Was held on with an adhesive sealant, cut with a razor knife, and carefully pried up.

Aug 6, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico
I replaced both my head faucets last year with SS Moen single lever units from Home Depot. Not cheap but very nice. Yes the old ones are hard to access - I just cut them out - knew I wasn't going to reuse any part of them. The Moen units were a nice fit for the holes in the counter tops and they look really good.

Aug 6, 2009
Hi Rich - the head faucets were model 84121. I also replaced the galley with a nice Moen unit model 87017. No pictures but waiting out a wind event tomorrow so may get around to it and post them here. These units were purchased at Home Depot here in Mexico - not sure if the model numbers carry over to the USA - but I just Google them and they came up on Mx sites, at least you should get pictures of what they look like.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
They look nice. What I would really like is a one-handle unit for the aft shower. That is the one that I find hard to adjust. But I haven't found a unit that will connect only to a hose.
Any suggestions?

Aug 6, 2009
Hello Rich. Here are some photos. I've included a photo of the aft shower control. Not sure what you mean with "connect only to a hose". Our potable water lines are all gray plastic with Qest fittings. This includes the manifold under the stbd berth. I always thought this was the OEM config. So our aft shower control just has the two lines going down through the hole to the plastic lines with Qest adapters to join them into the water supply. Let me know if you want anything more

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Hello Rich. Here are some photos. I've included a photo of the aft shower control. Not sure what you mean with "connect only to a hose". Our potable water lines are all gray plastic with Qest fittings. This includes the manifold under the stbd berth. I always thought this was the OEM config. So our aft shower control just has the two lines going down through the hole to the plastic lines with Qest adapters to join them into the water supply. Let me know if you want anything more
Thanks for the pictures. The aft shower control looks like a Kolher unit. Do you have a model number and a picture of the nozzle? Did you need to buy anything else for the aft shower, like maybe a longer hose or spray head?