h34 Vanity Sliders

dcalif

Feb 17, 2015
Hunter 34 Monterey Bay
The mirrored slider panels in the vanity and head on my 34 were pretty rough. Doesn't look too nasty in the image, but you can see how the reflective film was flaking off the edges. A big chunk of the reflective film was missing out of one panel above the view shown below.
h34-09.jpg

The head was worse. (sorry no pic)
I simply pulled out the panels, measured and ordered pre-cut replacements from Tap Plastics here.
They are:
Mirrored Acrylic Sheets (Cut-to-Size) - Clear
Approx $19 per panel not including shipping. Same price for the ones in the head.
I just penciled the hole locations from the originals on to the new panels and drilled them out then replaced all handles with inexpensive ones from Home Depot.
newvanity.JPG

The old ones didn't bother me all that much, but my wife was really happy. If she's happy when I spend any money on the boat, that's a good thing.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
How did you remove them? I can't seem to get them out with the usual maneuvers? Thanks. Ilan

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
To remove them start with the inside panel, lift up and push the bottom into the cabinet and then drop down. Do the same with the outer panel.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I am curious about the new faucet. Where did you get it? Is it a standard "house" faucet modified to fit the water lines or did you have to get a special boat/RV faucet?

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Thanks; felt stupid asking but all the usual didn't seem to work; not enough clearance. Will try again
Ilan

dcalif

Feb 17, 2015
Hunter 34 Monterey Bay
It's an inexpensive RV faucet. Not as substantial as a standard, but took maybe 10 minutes to install.
$32.95 from Amazon. Link here.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Quick note.. The shower diverter shown just below in the link works perfectly to replace the original. No modification necessary. My original cracked last year and I replaced it with that diverter..

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter Legend 35 Fairfield, CT
A slightly different question...about the finish on the cabinets. Is it a stain, since it is not a varnish? Any opinions on using polyurethane with stain MinWax product? Thanks!

Jan 13, 2015
Hunter 34 Deep Bay, BC
This thread is going to cost me money. I showed it to my wife. I now have to do the mirror panels. And the faucet. And the shower diverter. And the galley faucet to match. Brushed satin. Oh, and the vanity sink, too (we have what is probably the original enamel sink).

Is that the original laminate? If not, how do you replace it without totally dismantling the interior of the boat? I'd love to do the galley laminate, but it looks like a nearly impossible project.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I am looking at replacing the laminate as well. It looks like some disassembly will be required. The sink and faucet will have to come out and the lip on the front edge of the vanity top will have to come off. Then it will be a matter of what the condition of the plywood underneath is like. If it is rotted it may need to be replaced.