H34 Compression Post

Oct 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Sunrise Shore Marina
We purchased a 83 Hunter 34 approximately one year ago. The surveyor checked the the compression post and reported it to be fine. Prior to stepping the mast this spring, we had to access the wiring in the post. This is when we found rot at the bottom of the post. Also when the teak and trim were removed at the top, we found a slight indentation in the horizontal beam, similar to what others have shown. I drilled a sample of the horizontal beam and found it to be free of rot, but compressed. The boat was hauled this week and we plan to remove the mast within the next week, in order to replace the compression post. I have investigated the documented repairs on this site and have a couple of questions. Most repairs have a block on top of the manufactured post. How is this block attached to the existing wood on each side, in order to transmit the loads horizontally through the deck? Or, is this necessary? Or, is the wood completely removed?

Since we will have the mast down, should we also remove the mast base and re-seal it?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Since we will have the mast down, should we also remove the mast base and re-seal it?
That seems like a prudent approach. I completed that very action when I refitted my mast on my Cal. We had the step cleaned and powder coated. Inspection of the deck showed the area to be sound. Used 4200 to bed the step in place. Assured the step weep holes were clean.

Here is a picture of the step ready to receive the mast.

CA680CB7-0100-4EA1-9A27-66ABB2BA6168.jpeg

19B343BD-9DA8-4122-8CDB-5C38C4822177.jpeg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yes definitely reseal the step. Carefully check the little pvc standpipe that the wiring goes through and possibly put in a slightly taller one to continue to keep water out of the cross beam. The deck under the step is thick and has an aluminum plate reinforcing that is glassed in. If the wood in the cross beam is not rotted, no need to replace it but you may want to put a spacer under the compressed part or make the new post slightly taller. You can cut the underneath side of the beam such that the post bears directly on the compressed wood.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
I did not tie my post into the side beams directly other than the thickened epoxy used to install my block. I did have some rot in the middle of my beam so I chiseled it out and used thickened epoxy to permanently install a block of 6061 Aluminum which was drilled and tapped to accept my new compression post top plate. This sits right under the glass sandwich that encases the aluminum plate the mast step bolts into, and has maybe 1/16" - 1/18" clearance to the wood on port/starboard of it filled up with the thickened epoxy. West System with colloidal silica.

Oct 10, 2020
Brian, I have downloaded your PDF from the site and have read it several times. I expect my repair will closely follow it. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind sending me the drawings? Our boat is now out of the water and the interior has been dismantled. Yesterday, I cut out the bilge, which cleaned things up a lot. Mast is scheduled to be removed Tuesday and then the compression post repair starts. Not willing to try the mast up approach here in Nova Scotia! Once again, thank you for a great document on your repair.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If you are ever thinking of running your mast control lines back to the cockpit, now is the time to add a base plate with holes for blocks under your mast. Plate is readily available and inexpensive. Even if you do not use it now, it will be there when you need it. Wish I had done that the last time I took my mast down.

Oct 10, 2020
A base plate is a great idea. Lines are already led back to the cockpit, with the blocks attached to the deck. Appreciate the input. It gets the wheels turning with things that should be done while I have everything taken down.

Oct 10, 2020
Finally got the mast down and this week removed the post. There was a slight compression of the fiberglass, only about 1/8". After carefully marking the area, I opened an area 3.25" by 5.5" to remove the damaged areas above the post. There was no rot in the wood, it had simply been compressed. I was surprised to find that the wood only appears to be in the front part of the overhead beam. At the aft end of the beam, I found that there is a vertical piece of fiberglass. Does anyone know if this is solid fiberglass from this point back? See right side of photo.
20211101_160650.jpg

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Mine had a tunnel behind the wood for wire runs, maybe an inch, just guessing.