H34 Cockpit Drains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 34 Seattle
Ken and Allan,

Thanks for the ideas and the photos. I think I can get two next to the water heater. I will check forward of the port water tank. I stupidly put a 15" subwoofer (for the disco dance floor) in front of the water tank so much of this area is already taken up. I might have to change to AGM's that can lay down. Does anyone know if it is required or recommended that an AGM be placed in a box like the lead acid batteries? As I understand, they have nothing that can spill. I know they need to be strapped and have terminal covers but not having to locate a box would sure make it easier. Cost of lead acid's is most attractive and I would have to get rid of two relatively new 6v Trojans.

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
Brad, you should be able to strap some AGM batteries directly in place.
Heck, they even claim to be able to mount them upside down.
Since the electrolyte is contained in the mats (diapers), it shouldn't leak.

However, again being the king of "what if", I'll feel better with mine protected in boxes.

If nothing else, if something get loose and banging around it's going to make it a little harder to damage the battery case.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Lake Champlain, NY
Hello to all of you, thanks for all your ideas, I'm in the continuous process of changing things every fall seasons.
I have 2 T-105 6V batteries in front of the fuel thank, witch I boxed around with plywood many years ago cause I'm always having this area full of stuff and I use it as a step to go in and out of that lazarette. I moved the starting battery under the aft bed, right behind the member in the back of the shaft output. It's a size 24 1000amps and it fits !!!

See you maybe in Annapolis next month for the boat show !

André

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Andre,

Would you happen to have a picture of your starting battery installation? If I can do that, I will have completely cleared the lazarette area of batteries and can figure out something better for that location.

Regards,

Allan

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
Yes Anre tell us more.
I haven't dug about in that area much.

Is your start battery lying on the hull, or in a tray?
How is the secured?
Did you run the wires through the stringers?

Status
Not open for further replies.