H34 Battery Bank Overhaul - tips and recommendations

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 34 Kemah Texas
The battery bank on our 1985 H34 needs an overhaul. Current batteries work but look old, wires are all over the place and batteries are not secured in place.

Would love to hear any recommendations and tips from someone that has overhauled their battery bank. What type batteries did you choose? How many batteries did you purchase ? How did you secure them in place ? Did you replace the alternator (if so to what size AMP). If anyone could share pictures of their battery bank would be really helpful too.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I moved mine to underneath the port settee. I also replaced them. The H-34 leans to starboard and the batteries, way down in the hole, are hard to get to. So, I moved them. I made a level platform inside the locker under the port settee. I had to remove the strip of wood between to two access hatches and enlarge the holes a little with a saw but I was able to put all of the pieces back and screw them in place after putting the batteries in. I screwed the two plastic battery holders down to my platform and strapped the batteries in. I also moved the AC powered battery charger to underneath the nav station so I could monitor it easily. The hardest and most expensive part was installing the battery cables and running them to the new location. I needed 60 ft of cable total at $6.00/ft. That hurt a little. The boat is better balanced now and I do not have to dive head first into the dungeon to check the batteries,

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Mark... Do you have a picture or 2 of your installation with the platform? Thanks. Jon

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
The battery bank on our 1985 H34 needs an overhaul. Current batteries work but look old, wires are all over the place and batteries are not secured in place.

Would love to hear any recommendations and tips from someone that has overhauled their battery bank. What type batteries did you choose? How many batteries did you purchase ? How did you secure them in place ? Did you replace the alternator (if so to what size AMP). If anyone could share pictures of their battery bank would be really helpful too.
The two batteries in the original location are extremely hard to get at (ie impossible). We moved them to the center line in the rear cockpit lockers and put two batteries for the house bank to starboard of the rudder shaft (against the aft transom bulkhead) and the starter battery to the port side of the shaft with the appropriate tiedowns. This makes checking them very easy. We then put the new charger on the forward bulkhead of the port rear locker (behind the wheel). Is all very convenient and out of the way, allows easy checking and still leaves a lot of room for other items.

We also installed a 2 bank battery gauge adjacent to the electrical panel. We are very happy with this arrangement and it has served us well and is out of the way, and does not seem to affect the balance of the boat. It also does not tie up any interior space which I use for my various tool bags.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Nice setup. My only suggestion would be to use something other than MDF for the shelf. It swells when it gets wet.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Additionally, in this location they are actually out of the way of the actual openings of the rear lockers making extremely easy access to all the other junk we put in there. It's as if they use up space we never knew existed, or at least space taken up by junk that didn't need to be on the boat and was forgotten about. I did consider using the inside settees but I think this has worked out better and requires absolutely no modification, cutouts etc. and leaves valuable interior storage space available. You can also easily put even more batteries in, but we keep our electrical use modest and three batteries are just fine since I went to LED lights almost everywhere else on the boat, put new instruments, MFD in. No radar or sonar for time being.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
One of the main reasons for moving the batteries besides accessibility was weight distribution. I wanted to move some weight to port but also forward to the boat's center. That is why I chose the location I did over the storage under the aft birth.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Mark.. You decision makes a lot of sense. I'll have to measure to see if my 6v's will fit there. -Jon

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
I moved the batteries in my H34 to the ditch in the aft cabin. This may not look as nice as having them under the settee, but the cables are much shorter. It also balances the boat out.

Jul 28, 2018
Hunter 34 Long Beach
With batteries in the rear lazarette, what did you do with the propane tank location? Any concerns about fuel and ignition in same storage space?
Also, did this require allonger cables?
Thanks

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
I needed 60 ft of cable total at $6.00/ft. ,
Q: I’m looking at doing this next year. Why wouldn’t u just need enough cable to run from the DC Panel to the new battery location? Like 6’ or so???

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I ran the cables from the original battery location to the new location to avoid a complete rewire i.e. just extended the cables. You still have the engine and the 1-2-off switch to include.

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
Mark, I get it. Was thinking if I took this on, I'd move the battery switch to the port side by the new battery location and all's I'd have to do is run a cable to the starter / alternator. Any electricians out there agree that my thinking is easily possible? [I'm not an electrician... ;)]