H25 upper shrouds

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I seem to have lost the original shroud tangs for the upper end of my upper shrouds. Before I get the replacement ones made up, I'll need to have the total lengths right. Would anyone care to post a photo of original H25 (gen-1; 1972-1976) shroud tangs, that go at the top of the mast, so I can see which of the pieces I have is the proper one to go here? Thanks.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
That looks like it, Dennis; except that (in defiance of Don Street's recommendation) my boat had/has forks on single tangs and not eyes on doubles. I also had no compression tube (though have added them in all locations). I'm impressed with your last-model-year boat's sleeved tube rather than the hanging-on-the-bolt-threads arrangement my boat came with. I have since sleeved the upper shrouds' attachment with an aluminum tube and am making proper SS spar pins with castle nuts, a system I'll make available to anyone else who might like them.

Thanks for posting the pic. Are you able to verify the pin-to-pin length of those tangs?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
JCII,
Drawing attached. The main plan view is a trace around an actual tang. The bends in the profile are representative. It will depend on if it's a 2-gang for uppers or a 4-gang for lowers to provide clearance and match the shroud angles and eye fittings.

Attachments

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
That file does not appear to load properly. I'll email it to you.

It won't display here. Only makes it downloadable.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
John, I'll be happy for the info as I'd like to see how Dennis' '83 compares to yours and mine, which are 'Gen-1'.

I have provided an extra set of tangs about 3/4 up the mast to serve for running backstays and installed a tang on the front of the mast above the pole-lift sheave box, in order that this can be used to fly an inner staysail. My original idea was to be able to have a smallish sail up, closer to the CLR, for when powering through canals, etc., in case the motor quits. This enables an awning to be set over the lowered mainsail. I've repurposed the original shroud tangs (and shrouds) for the running backs, as I got a very nice pair of double-hole tangs from DAMCo for the lower shrouds, and have two original tangs left over. But they have 3/16" pin holes, not 1/4", so apparently I have mislaid the original upper-shroud tangs. Grrr.

I am grateful to Dennis for the well-made drawing and am only anxious for finding out if the tangs use for the double upper-shroud ones are in fact merely twice as many as were used for the single upper-shroud ones. :sosad:

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
John, mine look more like the ones in Dennis' photo. Your two-bolt system appears non-standard, perhaps upgraded by some prior owner, though the bolt with locknuts is what Hunter used for most early boats. It's part of what I'm replacing.

I may yet go to a two-bolt tang like yours. What I need to do is to replace the old wire shrouds and I'll need the know the original/stock tang length to compensate for it.

Thanks.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
My 78 has the ones like Dennis posted. All of my upper rigging uses 5/16 pins and all the deck level pins are 1/4
I have two sets of shroud tangs with 3/16" pin holes in them. I upgraded the rigging wire from 1/8" to 5/32" and am using 1/4" pins. Hunter sure changed a lot in these short 3-5 years!

For anyone else contemplating a rigging upgrade I would direct him to Dwyer Aluminum Mast Co (DAMCo) in Connecticut who supply very nice spar fittings, tangs, and so on. I replaced my 4 single tangs for the lower spreaders with their double-pin shroud tangs. Also their sizing specs are spot-on (they scale their parts properly for the pin sizes unlike many cheap-boat boatbuilders like Hunter was early on).