H23.5 Centerboard Pin Bearing Replacement

May 22, 2013
Hunter 23.5 Lake Calhoun
Took my Centerboard off to replace the uphaul line and noticed the pin bearing was quite worn. See pics. Even the hole in the fiberglass is enlarged over 1" (factory dimension) by like an 1/8". I'm thinking of replacing the plastic bearing with a bronze bearing on each side of the centerboard.

1) Has anyone replaced the plastic bearing with a bronze one?

2) Thinking of using MarineTex epoxy to line the hole in the center board to get it back down to 1 inch. Thoughts?

3) Thinking of securing the bronze bushing using general marine silicone in the 1-in hole. This would allow the bushing to be removed in there future if another replacement is needed. I could epoxy around the flange on the side of the Centerboard for additional retention. Thoughts?

Attachments

Apr 24, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Stamford
bigchief...what ever happend? what did you do? looking at getting into the project this spring

Dec 26, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Seattle
Hello

I did this on a Hunter 19.

Bought a bronze bearing (sleeve). Used thickened epoxy to glue it into the old oversized hole left after the plastic bushing was out. Used squares and measurements to tweak the bearing into perpendicular to the board as it dried. Reinstalled and way, way better. Zero knocking around of the board When anchored and boat is moving side to side. Much easier to sleep!

Use thickened epoxy, not silicone. I think the bearing will last 50+ years, so you will never need to remove it.