Greta Thunberg sails back to Europe on La Vagabonde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Do a google search for: Thunberg La Vagabonde
I have been following La Vagabonde on YouTube and have mixed feelings about them doing a North Atlantic crossing to Spain this time of year. I think it's a stunt and they've got their baby aboard. But they're experienced, capable sailors and fantastic people - I wish them all well.

You can track them on this page Sailing La Vagabonde | A Few Words Behind The Movies

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It looks like they have good wind to Burmuda. How fast is La Vagabonde? In the right corridor, with good timing, they could make good time to the Azores.
Chilly is the first thought to come to mind, but it looks like an exciting journey they are on.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
La Vaga is fast downwind since they got the cat. They have done ( I think) 14-18 knots downwind comfortably.

Aug 3, 2019
S2 11.0a Duncan Bay, Lake Huron
Didn't Riley insist on a crazy passage in the Med early on with the cat? Hit 22 knots?

My concern is doing this with Lenny aboard. I know families do this, but the North Atlantic in November...ouch.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Their website has a link to a tracker overlaid on PredictWind. Looking at
the track they are about 120 NM slightly NW of Bermuda going 5 knots heading 062. They are getting hammered in 11 foot waves with 9 second period if Windy is showing accurate numbers and looks like next 24 hours of similar conditions. As the storm moves north conditions will improve but the next 24 to 36 hours look tough before they get better as the storm center drifts East some before turning up the coast. They are very good sailors and have a very good boat. At least the temps for both water and air are in the 70’s. I hope they go into Bermuda for a rest break. They look like they will need it if the WX is what Windy says it will be.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Agreed. Heading East in early November can be dicey. At least they made through the Gulf Stream.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
This is not a trip I would want to take, at least now. Butt they are young. At their age I would have also done it.

dj

Jun 14, 2010
i quess i thought their vessel would be faster.
10 foot seas, 10 second wave period, a light vessel, and perhaps seasick passengers... Perhaps going slow for comfort or perhaps holding back for weather routing to let rougher weather pass. If they’re slow it’s deliberate. I assume they'd head into Bermuda if anything broke.
The normal sailing speed on that boat is 8+k and they (are lucky to) have Nikki Henderson aboard (she’s probably got more round the world racing experience than anyone her age). They could be sailing 9+ if they choose to.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
They are posting to Facebook once or twice a day. Sounds quite rough, mostly close hauled. Windy shows 10+ foot seas on the nose, so I’m not surprised they’re going 6-7 instead of their usual teens. Also they did say most of the crew except Riley and Nikki have been seasick.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i have no knowledge of blue water cat sailing. nice winds and normal waves. checked down for some reason.

May 25, 2012
the wind on their web site shows true wind on the beam in the twenty mph range. i was speculating that was good.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Their cat is good but pointing into the waves is not the best point of sail.

May 25, 2012
i see that they are moving better now that the true wind is abaft the beam.
big cruising cats with lots of windage ....................................

Jun 14, 2010
I still think it's a comfort decision. That boat is set up with twin daggerboards and the genoa can be sheeted close. It can point as well (or better) than most monohulls.

May 25, 2012
plus, 1,000 miles off shore one never pushes the boat.
i'm watching what they do out of curiosity. yesterday they said that things were comfortable. they were playing yachtsey

Status
Not open for further replies.