Greta Thunberg sails back to Europe on La Vagabonde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Crossing the Atlantic west to east in the middle of November, it's not something I would try with a toddler and a 16 year old kid.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
me, i would sail with a toddler and a 16 year old. the little one has been raised on the boat. i would sail anywhere with a crew of 16 year olds. thats what the sailing warships of old were crewed by. my great grandfather got his masters license for sailing ships/ cargo ships at 17.
me, i'm mostly curious what that modern cat rides like. blowing 25 with the waves it produces should be fun.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
[QUOTE="jon hansen, post: 1602662, member: 137251]
me, i'm mostly curious what that modern cat rides like. blowing 25 with the waves it produces should be fun.
[/QUOTE]
+1

Being a monohull guy, this is the kind of weather that would make me nervous with a multihull. It's not too bad at this point, I'm sure that cat is doing fine. But get steeper waves and higher winds and flipping one of those over would be my fear.

dj

May 25, 2012
so the wind map shows us the theoretical gradient and does not show the addition of the thermal excitation and the variations of speed and direction that creates. they have been encountering more beating conditions then we assumed. hence the slower speeds.

also, there is that storm developing ahead of them.
i'm curious how the actual ride on a cat would be. i have been pea soup green sea sick on 1,000 ft ships. lake ships have an awful ride in a big blow. they are very wiggly by design. the pilot house is like an upside down pendulum. not fun.

May 25, 2012
also, i'm curious what a cruising cat is like to hand steer in trying conditions.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
i have been pea soup green sea sick on 1,000 ft ships. lake ships have an awful ride in a big blow. they are very wiggly by design. the pilot house is like an upside down pendulum. not fun.
Six hours sitting on a fly bridge doing race committee in Gardiner's Bay with 3-5' waves cured me of ever wanting my own boat with a fly bridge!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@LeslieTroyer and I sailed a 45ft Leopard Cat Charter in Belize for 9 days. We had a couple of nights that there was considerable chop as fronts passed through. The boat was very stable in those conditions. The issue I noticed was the space between hand holds. The boat would move with the chop, and if you were trying to cross the living space you could end up there a bit quicker than you might be expecting. There is a lot of space on these big Catamarans. Under the balmy conditions of the Caribbean you can move about the boat like you were moving about your kitchen or living room. On deck the open space is there, but you are facing a big leap to the sea not a wall to stop your fall as you try to move across a trampoline bow or the roof deck to the mast. Getting swept off by the boom would be an E-ticket ride with no way of stopping till you hit the water.

As with everything boats, it is a compromise. Big space when it is nice, danger to deal with if your are in rough seas. I can see no one venturing out on deck in a real blow unless it is mandatory. But when you get in the Trades and there are 15 knot winds and sunny skys for days of a passage.

It can be very nice on a Catamaran.
IMG_1910.JPGIMG_5563.JPGIMG_5565.JPGIMG_5596.JPG

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
quick look its about 2300 nm to Spain at say 5 kts average.. 19 days
so that would be around

Dec 9th

But they are going into the Atlantic High, with gale force gusts from time to time.

Jim...

PS: I bet OVER

Oct 22, 2014
Ok.. To somewhat level the playing field, this is what I see. Locations are approximate based on La Vagabonde reported data on their website.
Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 9.34.33 AM.png

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
They will stop in Burmuda, let a weather system roll by (5 days), then try for a quick passage to the Azores (12 days), where they will sight-see for 4 days. Then, spend 4 weeks waiting on a part to arrive (35 days). Then it's 5 days to Spain, so...
52 days.

They will arrive in Spain on Jan 9th.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
Only issue with this outline is they are already beyond "Bermuda" - Hamilton Weather station is shown on the map. Both my screen and their position chart. But 9 Jan is your entry.. Do you want a do over? And what about your Over/Under?

Oct 22, 2014
I am thinking they could sight the coast of Spain sometime the 2nd to the 5th of December 2019.

Providing conditions stay favorable.

This would also give them a chance to accomplish their stated goal of getting Greta to the Climate Conference running from the 2nd to the 13th in Madrid, Spain. She could make a grand entrance and declare that we do not need planes any more. Just folks with boats that cost a million plus dollars willing to let you go for a ride.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Based on that weather map, not that I know anything about it, I would head North of the rhumline. They would pickup speed and have the wind more aft for an easier ride than the near beam reach. In 800 miles or so they'd sail into more wind and turn East for a nice fast ride to Spain. I like December 4th. 8 knots average. I would take the under, whatever that means.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
ok the date I picked is Dec 9th as the reference point.
If you bet OVER then you expect a date beyond the 9th

Under would be Less than the 9th.
Jim...

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Seems they are going slow to stay behind Sebastien and its nearby front. Once it passes and they start rolling again their rhumb line distance will be about 2200 miles, give or take. I’ll (hesitantly) take the Under for Jim’s date of the 9th, maybe early on the 8th, depending on what systems affect them in the second half of the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.