Greta Thunberg sails back to Europe on La Vagabonde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I don't know, what did I say wrong? … I made direct quotes from the article. This one for instance … hope of galvanizing locals to take up arms against the carbon crisis. Is that objective science?
His scientific inquiry was demonstrably independent of his personal perspective. In your argument, You have conflated how he conducts scientific inquiry with science with his personal perspective on political activism.

Saying that you are trying to to be entertaining doesn’t excuse bad logic and alternative facts. You’re whipping up people’s prejudices rather than appealing to logic. I suspect that’s your intent, and you find that entertaining.

Your posts contain the classic example of the ad hominem argument, which “ typically refers to a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive... “

(Thanks to the online dictionary. They defined it more succinctly than I possible could)

I’m glad to hear you say you are probably more on my side of things than I think ( in some way, in terms of what? Fisheries, housing markets, marine biology, economics, politics?). I’m sure you’re a nice guy. It’s not personal. But I think it’s fair to say have different ideas regarding the right standards for political rhetoric and scientific discourse.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Buffalo is not alone. Maine years ago started discussing this. We're not going to be as impacted as many areas - in the short term - by climate change. People in some areas (low lying, on the edge of extreme heat warnings), will be most. They will move eventually (check the Florida Keys).

In reference to your Florida Keys statement, I have been going there for over 40+ years and have not noticed any sea level change. That the most dramatic change is in the population. I will not bring up Hurricanes as they have been there since the Keys came into being. I don't disagree with climate change, but so far most if not all predictions have fallen short, thank God.
You can take this observation anyway you like, as most of my time is spent on Duval Street, and on the water.:beer:

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
They will move eventually (check the Florida Keys).
I remember reading an article in National Geographic (maybe 20 years ago) that said there was enough ice in Greenland and Antartica to raise the ocean level 50 metres (165ft). They said at that time it would take 5000 years to melt, now they say it's melting much faster than expected. If I can hold on long enough I may end up with waterfront property.(189feet ASL)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
His scientific inquiry was demonstrably independent of his personal perspective. In your argument, You have conflated how he conducts scientific inquiry with science with his personal perspective on political activism.
I don't think I've conflated anything. Perhaps you have me confused with the author of the article. The scientific inquiry is in the same sentence with his personal perspective on political activism. If that's not the case, then take it up with the author, not me.

But that is just one of the reasons why I thought the article was interesting. Don't blame me for a weakness in the article, if that is what you are saying is wrong.

I'm not a qualified scientist, so I don't make scientific arguments. I freely admit that almost all of the scientific presentations go right over my head. Does that disqualify me from discussion? That seems to be the central theme among those whom use science as their shield against differing opinion. It's a strategy to shut down dialogue. Assume the intellectual high ground. It's an effective strategy, when it can be pulled off. Otherwise it just sounds haughty. BTW, I haven't disputed anybody's presentation of science.

Point to something fallacious that I have said if you can but don't conflate me with the article. When I have an interpretation or opinions about the article, by definition, my interpretations and opinions can't be fallacious.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I read an article from the Miami Herald two days ago about sea level rise in the Florida Keys. The County asked Florida state for funding to replace roads that have recently (in the past few years) experienced flooding during king tides. As the flooding continues, it will destroy/ erode some sections of coastal roads leading to houses. Average sea levels in S Florida have risen 9 inches during past 100 years and tides are more variable. Neither the county or the state have the funds to replace those sections of road, because costs can exceed tens of Millions of dollars per mile. People are going to lose their houses unless the gov’t buys them out.

I wrote all that from memory, and I. Isn’t be wrong on some details, so Im going to find a link to the article.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article238040499.html

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
One other thing … I don't think I've made any arguments. I'm probably one of the least argumentative persons in this thread! ;) My posts have been mostly observational, I think. I don't try to change anybody's mind. If it happens by the things I say, that's on them, not me. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.