Get new 2 me Sailboat south

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
This is for my new sailboat an 85 O'Day 26 it is a good one. We negotiated the price down to 6500. She needs the bottom bead blasted to get it smooth for a barrier coat and new bottom paint. The winter storage and relaunch are paid. But they say I gotta wait until it warms up in the spring. The yard guy says April is the norm but I am a New Orleans guy and think I can get her in Feb or March and sail her home from up by Toms River New Jersey. The seller says I will freeze. I made the North Atlantic in November as a 20 yr old Ordinary and it was really cold standing bow on the Dog Watch. That was before the days of global warming. ARE there any experienced sailors that want a berth to help me get her home to Bayou Bonfouca at the mouth of the Rigolets east of NOLA? Or am I being foolish and just better wait for April.
thanks, Jimmy Mc

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We went through NC in November. It was cold, several nights below freezing. In Feb and March you will run into freezing temperatures in NJ and MD.

It is also a long slow trip. From NJ to St Augustine FL is around 1000 miles by the ICW, a little shorter if sailing outside, but then there is the weather to deal with. The Okeechobee is scheduled to be closed beginning Jan 4 for at least 3 months. That mean you'll have to go the really long way around Florida.

Wait until April.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you can wait until May, I could help with that delivery

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
  1. new sailboat an 85 O'Day 26
  2. The winter storage and relaunch are paid.
  3. they say I gotta wait until it warms up in the spring.
  4. The yard guy says April is the norm
  5. The seller says I will freeze.
All appear to be good rational to wait on your adventure until spring.

am I being foolish and just better wait for April.
Not foolish, but perhaps anxious.

Preparing for a 1650nm passage on a 35 plus year old boat. New to you. One that you negotiated down in cost. This is a boat that I would want to take a little time to get to know. Are Sails, Rigging, through hulls, auxiliary power, rudder, bottom/keel, and storage (fuel & water) up for a 15 day non-stop passage.

I'd not rush out to do this. Getting the boat ready for that trip would require several months to prepare the boat and secure supplies.

Roughly 1650 nm or 330 hours (cruising 24 hours a day) of non stop sailing averaged at 5 knots passage is a long and grueling adventure in the spring. Doing it in winter will only add to the challenge.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
We went through NC in November. It was cold, several nights below freezing. In Feb and March you will run into freezing temperatures in NJ and MD.

It is also a long slow trip. From NJ to St Augustine FL is around 1000 miles by the ICW, a little shorter if sailing outside, but then there is the weather to deal with. The Okeechobee is scheduled to be closed beginning Jan 4 for at least 3 months. That mean you'll have to go the really long way around Florida.

Wait until April.
thank you, I take your sound advice, you speak from experience and I listen, jimmy mc

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
If you can wait until May, I could help with that delivery
from what I am learning here I think May will be my departure date. let's make and keep in contact I will hire the blaster guy but I prefer to do my own barrier coat and bottom paint. so I will be in the New Jersey yard in March and April doing that. if you want my private em = jmczzz@gmail.com ;;;thanks for your interest.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
All appear to be good rational to wait on your adventure until spring.

Not foolish, but perhaps anxious.

Preparing for a 1650nm passage on a 35 plus year old boat. New to you. One that you negotiated down in cost. This is a boat that I would want to take a little time to get to know. Are Sails, Rigging, through hulls, auxiliary power, rudder, bottom/keel, and storage (fuel & water) up for a 15 day non-stop passage.

I'd not rush out to do this. Getting the boat ready for that trip would require several months to prepare the boat and secure supplies.

Roughly 1650 nm or 330 hours (cruising 24 hours a day) of non stop sailing averaged at 5 knots passage is a long and grueling adventure in the spring. Doing it in winter will only add to the challenge.
More experience talking, I am changing my mind to a May departure. thank you, jimmy mc

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
In addition to your own comfort the barrier coat and antifouling have temperature limits too. For example Interprotect barrier coat requires substrate temperatures of at least 41, and many antifoulings require 50. That will probably limit your departure or at least force you into very tight weather windows to get the prep done too early in the season.

Jan 11, 2014
More experience talking, I am changing my mind to a May departure. thank you, jimmy mc
Good idea. But don't forget the long johns. The water will still be cold and the air on the water will be cold.

We'll be heading north next spring and will probably pass you.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I've done some long distance sailing and some deliveries. Two people is not enough for that trip if you are going to be outside the whole time. You won't be well rested. The problem is the boat may not be comfortable for more than two, with supplies and whatnot. Tankage (or lack thereof) is also a significant factor as crew size goes up.

If I had to do it with a crew of two, especially inexperienced crew (and I have), I would do it by motoring the ICW and across FL on the Okeechobee Waterway, assuming it has reopened. By the time you do that, you know the boat well enough to decide if you can go direct from the west coast of FL to Mobile or NOLA. The downside of this method is you can only travel during daylight, the ICW is generally not conducive to much sailing, and motoring is noisy. The upside is you can each get plenty of rest, and if you need a day off, or supplies, or repairs, there is a marina or yard nearby. And since you are "inland", you have cell reception and instantaneous weather forecasts. As with all things boating, it is a compromise.

You may want to consider having the boat trucked to you. It's quicker, easier, and lets you start working on the boat (in Louisiana) sooner. I don't know how how the cost would work out, but you would not be paying for food, supplies, spare parts, fuel, oil, bottled water, crew, etc. You might be surprised at the value of spending the money to ship it, when you consider that. Plus, once the work is done, you are sailing sooner, in warmer weather.

Don't underestimate how much (and what kind of) work it is moving a boat on its own hull long distances. Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Truck it south
It'll be cheaper
You won't get the same adventure you are looking for but the adventure you get may be more than you are asking for

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Lots of good advice here, and it sounds like you have made the right decision. One thing to consider still is your personal health and comfort during your trip south. As a NOLA resident, you are probably acclimated to a warmer climate, and the trip from the Northeast, even in spring, will be very chilly. You don't say how long ago you did the North Atlantic, but I think you would be shocked to feel that kind of cold again, unless you have been skiing a lot up north.
I had been living in Florida for a few years before I sailed/motored my boat from Massachusetts back to Florida in October, '06. We were in freezing temps right up until we hit Florida, and we wore almost all the clothes we had with us, and were very uncomfortable. I had thought growing up in New England the cold wouldn't bother me that much, but it did.

Jan 11, 2014
If you have confidence in the boat, unlimited towing from BoatUS or SeaTow, good foul weather gear and good long underwear the trip south on the ICW is worth the time and effort. Seeing the country from the water is entirely different from driving by or flying over. One of my favorite areas was the SC low country. Beautiful.

Take some time, make it an adventure, have a high limit credit card.

Enjoy.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I've done some long distance sailing and some deliveries. Two people is not enough for that trip if you are going to be outside the whole time. You won't be well rested. The problem is the boat may not be comfortable for more than two, with supplies and whatnot. Tankage (or lack thereof) is also a significant factor as crew size goes up.

If I had to do it with a crew of two, especially inexperienced crew (and I have), I would do it by motoring the ICW and across FL on the Okeechobee Waterway, assuming it has reopened. By the time you do that, you know the boat well enough to decide if you can go direct from the west coast of FL to Mobile or NOLA. The downside of this method is you can only travel during daylight, the ICW is generally not conducive to much sailing, and motoring is noisy. The upside is you can each get plenty of rest, and if you need a day off, or supplies, or repairs, there is a marina or yard nearby. And since you are "inland", you have cell reception and instantaneous weather forecasts. As with all things boating, it is a compromise.

You may want to consider having the boat trucked to you. It's quicker, easier, and lets you start working on the boat (in Louisiana) sooner. I don't know how how the cost would work out, but you would not be paying for food, supplies, spare parts, fuel, oil, bottled water, crew, etc. You might be surprised at the value of spending the money to ship it, when you consider that. Plus, once the work is done, you are sailing sooner, in warmer weather.

Don't underestimate how much (and what kind of) work it is moving a boat on its own hull long distances. Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I do appreciate the advice and wise counsel I have made a couple of 8 to 10-day passages not too far offshore on a 25 and a 30. My long distance was in the pre-container days working my way thru the university as an ordinary seaman, US merchant marine. Several ocean passages on liberty class freighters, as crew on shrimpers, and deckhand on Ms river pushers. but I know enough to know I do not know enough... I do think it would be a shame to haul her on a trailer that seems like cop-out. So I may try to do a combo outside and ICW Trip. May break it into halves or thirds. I have a sailor that has said he would do it with me. So for now that is the amended plan; May departure outside inside trip. thanks for everyone's input. jimmy mc

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jimmy
There is no time like the present to start charting your rout and assembling your charts.

Look to understanding the weather and the patterns of weather that blows through the route you plan.

Build a list of the boats gear and what you may need. You will be packing the boat with the gear. The boats size means space will be at a premium. Your route decision will mean there are days you won’t be able to get to a Walmart or Win Dixie for essentials.

Menu plans may mean a happy crew or mutiny or worse, abandon ship.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If you're really in a hurry, and the boat is hauled anyway, you could get it trucked. Might cost less than having to feed yourself & crew, marinas, and fuel for that many weeks.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
If you're really in a hurry, and the boat is hauled anyway, you could get it trucked. Might cost less than having to feed yourself & crew, marinas, and fuel for that many weeks.
Way less like at least a fifth probably less. You won't be able to just pull up at a free dock and walk across the street to a Wal-Mart and at 26' you will not be carrying a weeks worth of fresh groceries and water on the boat. I guess you could carry enough Beefaroni and canned pears if that is the kind of trip you want.

I envy you the trip but not in a $6,000 boat.

I am eager though to hear reports of the trip as it successfully progresses. When you get down here I'll come meet you and I'll bring the beer.

Jan 11, 2014
Way less like at least a fifth probably less. You won't be able to just pull up at a free dock and walk across the street to a Wal-Mart and at 26' you will not be carrying a weeks worth of fresh groceries and water on the boat. I guess you could carry enough Beefaroni and canned pears if that is the kind of trip you want.

I envy you the trip but not in a $6,000 boat.

I am eager though to hear reports of the trip as it successfully progresses. When you get down here I'll come meet you and I'll bring the beer.
A trip like this is not about the money, it is the adventure.

One of the upside of Covid has been the proliferation of grocery and liquor store delivery services. A little pricier than shopping in the store, more convenient and cheaper than two Uber/Lyft rides. We've been using them for 5 months with good results.