Get new 2 me Sailboat south

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Way less like at least a fifth probably less. You won't be able to just pull up at a free dock and walk across the street to a Wal-Mart and at 26' you will not be carrying a weeks worth of fresh groceries and water on the boat. I guess you could carry enough Beefaroni and canned pears if that is the kind of trip you want.

I envy you the trip but not in a $6,000 boat.

I am eager though to hear reports of the trip as it successfully progresses. When you get down here I'll come meet you and I'll bring the beer.
Gosh, I have never been in a Yacht Club.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I am kinda wondering am I being made a joke of or is this the way yacht-es talk. Kinda like senators.

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nah. Just sharing the love.
You josh your friends down in New Orleans, don't you. It is not just great food and beer.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Jimmy, nice boat.
I noticed the registration numbers indicate the boat was last registered in Florida. Curious if the seller mentioned how it ended up in NJ and hw long it's been up here?

I agree, go for the adventure. You've stated in another thread you live aboard a 22'r now so you're well aware of the size restrictions when planning your trip.
Break up your trip into comfortable legs, plan for replenishing supplies and go for it.

If you do decide to have it trucked, you might want to consider having it trucked part way. The trucker who brought my boat down from RI spends his fall trucking boats to Florida and in the spring he brings them back north. He fit my delivery into his schedule because he had a rare December trip going north to LI. You may be able to get a good rate to get you in warmer waters, then finish the trip from there.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I keep my boat in Tom’s river Nj and normally pretty cold in February plus west winds keep the wind chill pretty cold as well. Normally I splash about the first or second week in march and even then still gets pretty cold at night staying overnight at the dock. The west winds are still pretty strong and creates a lot of choppy seas not to mention cold temps. Sailing after the sun goes down is something to take in consideration after being chilly all day. As others have mentioned you might want to get some quotes on trucking it. If you want to get a quote, contact Carmen the manager at Lighthouse point marina in South Toms River. He is usually there m-f winter hours 8-2 He has a transport company and trailers boats on the weekends. I believe he makes runs to and from Florida and he might be able to get you a fair price. Others I know have used him for short hauls and said very fair price and professional.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I keep my boat in Tom’s river Nj and normally pretty cold in February plus west winds keep the wind chill pretty cold as well. Normally I splash about the first or second week in march and even then still gets pretty cold at night staying overnight at the dock. The west winds are still pretty strong and creates a lot of choppy seas not to mention cold temps. Sailing after the sun goes down is something to take in consideration after being chilly all day. As others have mentioned you might want to get some quotes on trucking it. If you want to get a quote, contact Carmen the manager at Lighthouse point marina in South Toms River. He is usually there m-f winter hours 8-2 He has a transport company and trailers boats on the weekends. I believe he makes runs to and from Florida and he might be able to get you a fair price. Others I know have used him for short hauls and said very fair price and professional.
thanks for the contact info. you make it easy to check it out. jimmy mc

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Jimmy, there are obviously opposing views to this but I'm on the side of taking the adventure. Make sure the sails, rigging and engine are in good condition. Load up with supplies and set sail. It sounds like you are retired and have the time, spend 3 or 4 months, don't rush it, see the sites along the way. I sold my C&C27 a couple years ago for about the same as you paid for your boat and it would have been great for that trip so don't worry about limiting your experience based on the value of the boat. Trucking would very likely be cheaper, you could even rent a U-Haul pick up and drive it yourself, but what fun would that be? I say if you are going to buy a sail boat - why not sail it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Jimmy, there are obviously opposing views to this but I'm on the side of taking the adventure. Make sure the sails, rigging and engine are in good condition. Load up with supplies and set sail. It sounds like you are retired and have the time, spend 3 or 4 months, don't rush it, see the sites along the way. I sold my C&C27 a couple years ago for about the same as you paid for your boat and it would have been great for that trip so don't worry about limiting your experience based on the value of the boat. Trucking would very likely be cheaper, you could even rent a U-Haul pick up and drive it yourself, but what fun would that be? I say if you are going to buy a sail boat - why not sail it.
This is a very doable trip in a 26' boat, it would of course be more comfortable in a larger boat.

Coming down the ICW is mostly about motoring, having the diesel in good shape is probably more important than having good sails. There are many places to find competent (and incompetent) marine mechanics along the way. It is not necessary to stay in marinas every night, there are plenty of anchorages.

Along the way you will meet many fellow travelers who will provide support and knowledge. The dream of sailing away in a boat lives in many dirt dwellers who are willing to help you if you need help. In one town we were walking to the grocery store and a guy stopped asked where we were going and said hop in. The same thing happened on the way back. (Hint: Use a walking stick or a cane, they seem to garner some sympathy.)

Count on moving about 40 miles a day, that's an 8 hour day at 5 mph. An autopilot helps on the long straight channels. A working VHF is essential. If you are a solitary kind of guy, the trip is very doable solo.

There is a Facebook group Bob423 that has lots of info on the ICW. Get the Skipper Bob book on ICW Anchorages and download Aquamaps for your tablet for navigation. Spend this winter learning about the route and do it.

And don't forget unlimited towing, just in case. The tow boat operators are a good source of local knowledge. ;)

My wife and I are in doing the trip now. We've written about our experience on our website.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This is a very doable trip in a 26' boat, it would of course be more comfortable in a larger boat.
Coming down the ICW is mostly about motoring, having the diesel in good shape is probably more important than having good sails. T
The O'day 26 is a swing keel auxillary OB trailer sailor.

No disel to worry about. Make sure the OB works. If you need a new one, I recommend the Tohatsu 6 HP sailpro.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think the trip would be a lot of fun. Until a month ago, I had a Hunter 26 and sailed it a lot in the North Carolina outerbanks. These shoal draft boats open up a lot of anchorages that deeper boats cannot take advantage of. So if you want to sail her, start the prep now and there are a lot of people here that can point you to coastal cruising guides etc.

If you are doing this to save money, you might come out ahead buying a trailer and hauling it yourself.

r

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The O'day 26 is a swing keel auxillary OB trailer sailor.

No disel to worry about. Make sure the OB works. If you need a new one, I recommend the Tohatsu 6 HP sailpro.
Some 26’s did have an inboard diesel. Although the ad for this one posted above said it’s an outboard model.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A trip like this in an untested, unfamiliar, 26', $6500 boat could be more adventure than one would want or be able to afford.
Taking the trip in a reasonably well maintained known larger sailboat can be an adventure and one that challenges one's financial resources.

The beauty of a simple boat like this O'Day 26 is that it is simple. There are few systems to fail and those that might are easily and realitively inexpensive to replace or repair. The biggest potential expense might be replacing the OB, a 10 hp long shaft OB will be easier, faster, and cheaper to replace than a Kanzaki transmission with the attendant installation and hotel costs. Actually a 9.9 HP Yamaha is cheaper than the chart plotter I had to replace.

There are risks to everything we do, the risks on this trip are fairly low. If the OP has the time it is a trip worth taking.

Feb 22, 2011
Hunter Legend 37 Muskegon, MI
My long distance was in the pre-container days working my way thru the university as an ordinary seaman, US merchant marine. Several ocean passages on liberty class freighters, as crew on shrimpers, and deckhand on Ms river pushers. but I know enough to know I do not know enough...
Sound like great experiences but not really qualifications. I like the last part best.

I know I'm late to the discussion but I'd agree with the ones who suggested shipping the boat. I am pretty much in agreement with John, Paul, (Betcha you thought of the Beatles) Rick and Dave.

Mother Nature isn't done beating the crap out of the East Coast. Our Michigan weather is not spring like (for sailing and spending nights on the boat in a marina with two heaters cranked up) until late May or even June, and what we get, the East Coast gets. We might get some teaser 60 or 70 degree days but we also have a lot of 30 to 40 degree nights. I've launched in May with snow coming down.

Outside of the weather that early in the season, and the way things work with yards, supplies, cure times and temps for paints and OOPs's you might consider adding the cost of hotel/motel expenses for as much as a month, while working on the boat in an unfamiliar area. It might even take a that long, dodging the weather while attempting to work on the boat. Don't forget Murphy!

A "New to ME" boat of that size, age and price should be considered a day sailer or a weekender. Not something to spend a month on and certainly not one that I'd take on a month long trek like you are planning. Maybe if I was younger and more adventuresome, I might consider it. One Nor'easter and the sea and winds are confused for as much as two or more weeks as far south as the Virgins. Made for great sailing but that was on a much larger sailboat.

That boat should be easily trailer-able behind a pick up. I trailered a previous 26' S2 behind an old tired Suburban and launched it (shoal draft). It could also be an add on with another boat heading south with a commercial carrier. Most trucked boats are heading north for the summer and the rate might be less with a trucker covering "deadhead" miles.

Whatever you decide, be safe. Let us know what you finally decided and if you went, I'd like to hear your experience.