garage anchor evolution

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
We spend a lot of time on Lost Creek lake in our "off season" and some years mid season also, due to our premiere sailing lake level being too low :mad:. wile we do really enjoy Lost Creek overall, it has a really nasty habit of stealing anchors. it's a fairly young lake (late 60s) and many of the stumps left during construction now have many exposed roots as the lake bed erodes away. if an anchor happens to land on one of these roots it's likely to become one with it.
P1050583.jpg

After losing a nice Delta, and an even nicer Rockna, I'd had enough and started making my own "Russkna" anchors and I'll never go back to factory models again. with about $15.00 worth of steel, a decent welder, and a little time, anyone can make an anchor that not only can one afford to lose (although still not a happy moment), but actually works as well or better than the high dollar factory versions.
There are small upgrades in each of the 3-4 of my own design I've built over the past few years, but the main features I've found invaluable are the "roll bar" on the back edge, the "nose guard" and the "tongue". The roll bar prevents the anchor from laying upside down and not setting right away. it's not possible for the anchor to lay any way but right side up and ready to set with that roll bar on there. The nose guard (the 1/4" bar welded between the pan and the arm) is more of a site specific necessity for me, as I find that it helps a great deal in preventing the anchor from hooking over any exposed roots to begin with, and doesn't seem to slow down setting the anchor to any major degree, so I find that a big plus for me when sailing Lost Creek. The "tongue" is the most recent addition, and I feel it may help speed up the initial set of the anchor. I've only used this version a couple times so far, but it does seem to help so, unless I find a reason to remove it, it stays on future versions also.
I don't think I've heard of others building their own anchors, so if not, why not? if so, what design works for you?

IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Gee, wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to use a trip line on the first or second anchor rather than wait until you'd lost a few good anchors and finally decided to design a whole new anchor?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Gee, wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to use a trip line on the first or second anchor rather than wait until you'd lost a few good anchors and finally decided to design a whole new anchor?
Trip line..... ya... there's a good idea. :what: Problem is that I'd just be replacing one anchor and two lines instead of one. :doh:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I’m with @capta re: trip line.
The “tongue” looks like it might impede penetration. Maybe the "nose guard" is impeding penetration more than you think?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I’m with @capta re: trip line.
The “tongue” looks like it might impede penetration. Maybe the "nose guard" is impeding penetration more than you think?
Well I've only used the version with tongue twice. both times it set quickly but two times really isn't enough to form a solid conclusion on it's value. as to the nose guard, that's been on since early 2018 and I haven't lost an anchor since it's installation. I've had two instances where I feared for it, but was able to jockey the boat around and free the anchor within a few minutes each time. in some of the more rocky bottom areas the nose guard may have slowed the set ever so slightly, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I like it . There is just something about building something to suit your specific needs that makes you fell good with the world. I have yet to lose an anchor . Knock wood . AS a scuba diver I usually give a bunch away every fall.
If I lost an anchor I'd definitely would be firing up my welder . I say "Good on you "

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I like it . There is just something about building something to suit your specific needs that makes you fell good with the world. I have yet to lose an anchor . Knock wood . AS a scuba diver I usually give a bunch away every fall.
If I lost an anchor I'd definitely would be firing up my welder . I say "Good on you "
Thanks Timm R Oday25. It is rewarding in ways few understand for sure. :yeah:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I like it. If it works for you, in your specific area, stick with it. Personally, I find trip lines to be a pain to use where I sail and anchor. The wind and tidal currents are constantly shifting, so I end up circling the anchor rode and fouling the trip line.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I like it. If it works for you, in your specific area, stick with it. Personally, I find trip lines to be a pain to use where I sail and anchor. The wind and tidal currents are constantly shifting, so I end up circling the anchor rode and fouling the trip line.
xxxxxxactly.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
xxxxxxactly.
Then try shortening the trip line, after the anchor is set, until the buoy is just below the surface just above the anchor at high tide. Of course, that means hopping in the dink at high tide, which some may think more trouble than losing an anchor.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Then try shortening the trip line, after the anchor is set, until the buoy is just below the surface just above the anchor at high tide. Of course, that means hopping in the dink at high tide, which some may think more trouble than losing an anchor.
A trip line just isn't worth it to me. if it works for you great. I personally just say no to trip lines, but thanks anyway. ;)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
A trip line just isn't worth it to me. if it works for you great. I personally just say no to trip lines, but thanks anyway. ;)
I guess when your anchor costs around us$1200.00 and you are using 1/2" chain (a tad bit harder to cut than 1/2" line) a trip line might be worth it to some.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I guess when your anchor costs around us$1200.00 and you are using 1/2" chain (a tad bit harder to cut than 1/2" line) a trip line might be worth it to some.
No argument there capta :)

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Yes, that would work, and, Yes, it would involve launching the dinghy. I guess the few times I thought it prudent to use a trip line, I got lucky and didn't have the anchor stuck on the bottom.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This is a very interesting thread. It makes me want to go buy an ark welder. :)

So one thing I can see as a draw back regarding the nose guard is that it will interfere with how the anchor sets in a bow roller. But I can see how it will keep the anchor from getting snagged on a root.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
This is a very interesting thread. It makes me want to go buy an ark welder. :)

So one thing I can see as a draw back regarding the nose guard is that it will interfere with how the anchor sets in a bow roller. But I can see how it will keep the anchor from getting snagged on a root.
Use of a bow roller was actually a consideration when I added the nose guard but I still use a well worn 70 year old Toss and Pull anchor launcher on the Mac anyway so......... ;)